PROTEL 99SE

Can someone tell me how you unroute a PCB?

Thanks

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Peter, Simply selecting traces and deleting them. It can be done quite easily in a couple of clicks per layer for deleting every trace on a layer. If you are wanting something more selective then try embellishing on this tip.

For every trace on a layer, double click on one trace segment bring open the property window for that trace. Click on the Global button near the bottom. On the first Tab where you will find the trace's layer listed, select "same" in the middle column match by field beside the layer. Now click on the select checkbox near the bottom of the window. This will select all traces on the same layer when you close the property window. After all the traces are selected press Shift-Delete and all of those traces will be deleted.

That is the manner that I usually use. However if you are a little wilder and adventurous you could have set the same layer matching to "Any". Then you would have deleted all traces on every layer in one quick delete. Likewise if you selected "Different" then you would delete every trace except those on the layer you started. After you press the Shift-Delete after closing the trace property window and allowing the selection to be performed.

For more selective removal of traces you just have to find some way of matching their properties to do a different global editing selection and then the same Shift-Delete. You can also use the selection tools to "S"elect Connected Co"P"per (C,P) or something like "S"elect "N"et (S, N) which will select a whole net whether or not it is all routed yet.

You really have to get a grasp on the Global Editing and then the varying manners of selecting items. Also as you go through the menus, pay attention to the hot keys for each function (usually the capitalized or quoted letters in the menu commands. It is sure quicker than clicking through menus. Also just try some semi-intuitive letter keys, i.e. "S" for select, "P" for place (traces, vias, pads, lines, component decals, etc.), "E" for d"E"select, "D" for Design rules, "G" for grid, etc.. You can also look in the Help and find a listing of the "Hot Keys", I know it is usually not easily found but I know it is in there somewhere, then you can print it out for reference. Then look at the other choices presented when these keys are pressed. Make a practice copy of your file so that you don't mes up the only copy and then just play and experiment, you should be able to catch on real quickly.

--
Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

"Peter"  wrote in message
> Can someone tell me how you unroute a PCB?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

Reply to
Brad Velander

Peter schrieb:

tools -> unroute -> all Sometimes, some tracks are left: x a (deselect all), doubleclick on a track, global, tick selection, ok. All remaining tracks should be highlighted. ctrl del clears all tracks.

cheers Gunther

Reply to
Gunther Mannigel

Damn, you know how long I have used P99SE and I didn't know that was there or that it would unroute manually routed traces. Just shows how bad the documentation is when you don't even know a significant function is there.

-- Sincerely, Brad Velander.

Reply to
Brad Velander

Just be careful you don't click on GND when you are doing unroute.. it can take a while

Simon

or

Reply to
Simon Peacock

there.

I know this is an old thread, so I don't really expect replies, but... does this work in Protel ADVPCB?

... Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Boy

yep still works (in DXP 2004)

Simon

can

there

does

Reply to
Simon Peacock

Sorry Simon, I should have been more specific - I meant Protel ADVPCB version 2.5, (Copyright 1991-1994) Yep, I'm still using this relic. Works well for me. I mostly do 1-off boards and when I do need a number, "IMP PC" in S.A., (Australia) can handle the output files and they do a great job, with all of the usual features. I'm too old to start learning again if I can possibly avoid it.

... Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Boy

it

the

is

boards

That's the old windows 3.11 version isn't it? not even win 98/xp If it is, I can't remember. I have that version sitting around here somewhere but Protel 99SE is far superior. It has exactly the same key strokes but is considerably more robust. Unroutes weren't very reliable in the 3.11 version as net names weren't as sticky (especially after updating schematic to an existing PCB. The whole update process was considerably upgraded between the win 3.11 stuff and Protel 3.0. Then again in Protel

99SE. Protel 99SE SP 6 is probably one of the best versions they have released (after the 3.11 stuff). The newer DXP derivatives have more bells but you need a high performance PC to run it. 99SE fly's with most modern PC's and runs well under XP.

If you can afford it and can find it, I would defiantly recommend the upgrade to 99SE. DXP is to unstable and they are adding features rather than addressing some of the older problems.

Simon

Reply to
Simon Peacock

unroute..

was

but...

the

I'm

in

bells

You're right about the vintage Simon, but it does work well under XP. Still, it's probably time for an upgrade sometime in the near future.

... Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Boy

You wont regret an upgrade to 99SE... I wouldn't recommend going to DXP unless you really want to replace your PC as well. the trouble is getting a copy of 99SE these days. Its not supported but occasionally you can find a copy. Ask on the DXP groups, you might find one lurking around.

Simon

updating

Protel

modern

Still,

Reply to
Simon Peacock

one

ADVPCB

1-off

handle

features.

key

reliable

considerably

rather

Actually, one of my PCs is only a couple of months old, running XP Pro, but I like using the old Win98 PC as my workhorse because it still allows direct port access and I'm also using PIC programmer parallel port software and other stuff, some is my own DIY software written with VC 6.0, that relies on this. It's probably about time I upgraded everything, but the cost is prohibitive.

... J (Steve)

Reply to
Johnny Boy