World's worst software. What's decent?

There's a difference between an accent and a dialect. When I studied German in college I was told me that I wouldn't be able to freely use it in Germany because there's somewhere between 165 and 168 different dialects of German. However, when I lived in Germany, I found while these dialects exist, it can be difficult to find people that can still speak them. I figured progress and/or TV had flattened the language with some uniformity, though I could still recognized where people were from because of the accent.

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Engelhardt

It is a personal observation that comes from reading a whole lot of his personal letters, and other writings. I was very surprised to see that he was quite consistant, and quite modern. The letters he received in reply were all over the place with their spelling.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

"Strunk and White" in the standard "Style" manual used for a variety of formal writing. You could just look it up. IF you have access to the Internet. Don't you have a "Style" manual in Britain?

Gee. No wonder your confused! (:>)

There is NO record! My family has been in America for over 400 years. I've lived in several states. Never had a problem communicating with anyone. Wisconsin, Florida, Georgia, Texas, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Hawaii, and California. I may have missed the states where I only had a contract job there. Some of these states are larger than Britain. None as crowded.

By the way, what are you on? Your goofy mannerisms are quite annoying. (:>)

Do you really mean to try to be insulting? (You fall short if you do.)

Reply to
Clarence

Quoting Pooh Bear [ snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com], that posted to sci.electronics.cad on Fri, 22 Oct 2004 01:13:03 +0100 under article :

I use Word 97. It's the last Word version that is worth it.

[]s
--
Chaos MasterĀ®, posting from Brazil.
"I know the difference between myself and my reflection. "

differences.

someone on

The Indians speak English with a largely unmistakeable accent. It can be *very* 'broad' to the extent that I've had trouble following some Indian speakers clearly.

On the other hand, a few Indians speak English with a virtually neutral accent.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Oh. You mean you don't have a birth certificate?

Here we go again. Those pretentious F*&*ing Americans that that seem to think that they are not American because that have some extremely remote connection outwith the US. ROTFLMAO.

Look, dude, read my lips. You are American. Period. However, I agree, there is good reason for Americans to try and deny that they are, as evidenced by the fact that they usually all respond in a like manner when asked this question.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

Ahmmm... Plymouth is a *port* where people *went* to board ships. Its not very likely that many on the Mayflower actually *came* from Plymouth or that area, so it makes no sense at all that they would have west English accents.

The first link I got on this was

Where it is stated that that many on the Mayflower were transfers from a Southampton ship, and that some weren't even English.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

Some of them were certainly Dutch, according to Jonathon Israel's "The Dutch Republic: Its Rise, Greatness, and Fall 1477-1806".ISBN:

0198207344

-------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

That ... that (repeated word). "They" instead of "that"? Outwith doesn't work here (USA) either. Work on your English before you bash us.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

You can kill his posts, but I enjoy them. His off-the-wall stuff is entertaining and occasionally educational. Also, he has responded to several of my posts and helped me out. To each his own. I like his website too.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Had nothing of value to add to the topic.

Just Kill file the jerk!

Reply to
Clarence

Hey, if he is entertaining, go for it. Nothing much on TV anyway.

Reply to
Clarence

Interesting to see a guy who runs his own company using a term like "F*&*ing Americans". Don't you sell your products to Americans Kevin..?

Prescott

Reply to
Don Prescott

What language is this supposed to be?

Reply to
Bob Stephens

I spent a year living there - loved it BTW - and I used to try to emulate the accent of the "Memphians" and came up with a couple of rules.

1) Every syllable is actually at least two. 2) Each syllable has a "Y" in it somewhere.

I never got very good at it, but here is on example I annotated. There is a great brew pub near Overton Sqaure in Midtown called "Bosco's Squared". One of their signature beers is "Flaming Stone" ale. I got very close to being able to say this in a mid south accent as follows:

"Fillay May-ing Stay-own"

Not perfect, but I preferred the IPA anyways ;)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

the feeling is mutual.

Reply to
Jamie

Not any more!

Reply to
Clarence

Why, Thank you!

Reply to
Clarence

Any American reading my comments, usually takes it that it is those

*other* daft Americans that are so silly to believe that they are German-Welsh-Belgium. They don't consider that my comments are referring to them because they are not so stupid to believe such nonsense. Why would they? Only the ones that actually believe that they are not Americans have an issue. Are you one of those daft buggers to which my comments apply to?

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

Other than the American Indians who came across the Baring Straights a few thousand years ago just about everyone else arrived from somewhere else in the last few hundred years - mostly from Europe. So why are these Americans "daft"?

Prescott

Reply to
Don Prescott