World's worst software. What's decent?

EasyPC is a good choice - I used it for years before Pulsonix became available (it's basically the same company).

If you subsequently move up to Pulsonix, it imports EasyPC designs without any problems.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Quoting Robert Hoffman [bob@_I_Get_too_much_spam.com], that posted to sci.electronics.cad on Mon, 18 Oct 2004 07:32:08 -0400 under article :

I have evaluated various electronics CAD package, to find one that I like, I ended up with EAGLE for schematic/PCB and LTSpice for simulation.

My experiences have been good only with a few packages, e.g. EAGLE, LTSpice, gEDA, SIMetrix, and other programs were not bad, like PSpice.

But other programs where bad, like QCAD

and 5Spice

[]s
--
Chaos MasterĀ®, posting from Brazil.
"I know the difference between myself and my reflection. "

Reply to
Robert Hoffman

If you want really stable software, use Orcad's DOS stuff. SDT386+ for schematics PCB386+ for pcbs It's easy and efficient to use if you use macros. It's about 10 years old. New VESA video drivers have been written for modern high resolution monitors. The biggest problem is finding a video board that will handle VESA mode under Windoze.

is an active group that deals with DOS Orcad programs including new drivers for video, printers, modifications to the Orcad executables, and general help.

--
Mark
Reply to

Quoting Robert Hoffman [bob@_I_Get_too_much_spam.com], that posted to sci.electronics.cad on Tue, 19 Oct 2004 06:11:41 -0400 under article :

I ended up learning Eagle, as it was the package that looked more interesting.

But it still has some UNIX stuff in the middle, looks like as if it is a bad port from Linux version.

For simulation, I liked SIMetrix, their support was helpful with a few questions I had about the demo.

[]s
--
Chaos MasterĀ®, posting from Brazil.
"I know the difference between myself and my reflection. "
                        -- Evanescence, "Breathe No More"
http://marreka.no-ip.com | http://tinyurl.com/46vru | http://renan182.no-ip.org
Reply to
Chaos Master

I've also looked into SIMetrix at various times, but haven't bought it yet. The demo seemed to work great.

I'm re-evaluating my schematic capture software at the moment since it was just sold - again. I've used ECS/Synario/Cohesion for over 10 years and it's always been reasonably priced. The new company wants ~$20k for it now:

They call it Laker AMS.

The schematic software that comes with SIMetrix will apparently read ASCII files created by cohesion, allowing complete schematics to be imported.

Those in the newsgroup who use ltspice will know about these ASCII files since the ltspice format is basically cohesion, modified so they don't quite transfer.

I don't know what the schematic capture costs by itself, but the SIMetrix simulator plus the schematic software is still ~$5k:

lurker

The SPICE supplied with EasyPC is SIMetrix. It has a good reputation.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

A'men! :)

Reply to
Jamie

What they matter with you? have no faith in winders ? :))))

Reply to
Jamie

No faith in modern programmers and companies that don't fully alpha/beta test their crap. Layout version 10 is a good example of a crippled release. It still isn't working right. Windoze programs can be made to work reliably.

Reply to
qrk

Easy-PC with the SIMetrix SPICE is a lot less than that, and the Easy-PC schematic capture is a lot nicer than that supplied with SIMetrix.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

OrCAD Layout has always looked like a DOS program to me, and version

10 is no different. I doubt it's 32 bit Windows.

Prescott

Reply to
Don Prescott

Not since Markham Colliery (1973).

Reply to
Paul Burke

The Linguist Dr. Deborah Tannen wrote that the language spoken in the US today more closely resembles the English spoken in England 200 years ago, than does the language spoken in England today.

The reason is the vast size of the US compared to England. The language used in a small community can evolve through creative new words, meanings and phrases, without causing confusion, much more quickly than the language used in a large geographically expansive country. Think of how the language changes within clicks of teenagers. It drifts so quickly that one generation cannot readily understand another.

That being so, it can be argued that what you speak in England is the aberration.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris

I would think it obvious, it is often sprinkled with many slang, or colloquial words which are not used universally.

-- Blocked Sender list: Feel free to add these to you own list. Added due to ----------------------------------- Reason

snipped-for-privacy@IEEE.ORG For Foul Language Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk For Abject Stupidity John Fields snipped-for-privacy@austininsturments.com For Thuggish behavior snipped-for-privacy@cs.com TROLL Don Prescott snipped-for-privacy@aol.com For RUDE Conduct Fred Bloggs For Insults and Foul language

Reply to
Clarence

You're still using version 2.0c ? ;-)

Personally, I find Word to be an excellent example of an anti-productivity application. Just today I used write in preference to generate a report in rtf format ( that doesn't need Word to read - and screw up - the file ).

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Please elaborate ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

English

colloquial

Also not used in INDIA, China, Belize, Australia, etc.

Also understandable, for the same reasons.

I have software written in Australia. The help files are worthless!

in

I have no idea what your talking about. America is a country of diverse opines.

Yet you have seen his shows, and understood them?

OH, well! Have fun!

Reply to
Clarence

Not used universally in the USA you mean ?

We find some US English somewhat hard to understand.

I can't see how there would be much confusion in CAD software though.

Is the USA claiming to own the English language in preference to its origin in England ?

" Bah, who needs to learn English, I'm never going to England " ...... Homer Simpson.

Graham ;-)

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Been to India, they have a British accent, but there are a lot if differences. The Telephone service people are sent to school to learn to speak so someone on a phone can understand them.

I don't, I worked with An aussie Programmer, a PhD type over here doing research. I Couldn't understand more than half of what he said. Just accent and slang. I had to fix his code too. Not that it didn't work, it was just really big. Didn't optimize anything.

Homer

Well, since I don't watch the Simpsons normally, I can't comment on it further.

Reply to
Clarence