What is correct method?

For general reference, if there is an instance where certain mounting holes should be part of a chassis ground net, is it proper to give them a part number and include them in the schematic, or is it ok to just electrically connect them on the PCB side with no record of them in either schematic or PCB netlist?

Thank you,

Ivan

Reply to
Ivan

Make a schematic part and connect it properly in the schematic. The DRC will be happy with this technique. Plus, when you hand out the project for someone else to do the layout work, there is no question what to do with this mounting hole.

Mark

Reply to
qrk

Hello Ivan,

Mostly I have seen that being a part of the mechanical drawing set and assembly instructions. Please mind that it is often not allowed to employ a mechanical load point as a safety ground point. IOW, you usually need a separate stud for that and this stud shall not be load bearing.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Absolutely agree. Its an excellent idea to have a library of mounting hole components (even for those that are not connected to a net - then they show, correctly, as no connects). In some systems you can set an attribute (I call mine NBI), to indicate that the 'component' is not to be listed on the BOM.

Gary Crowell, CID Micron Technology

Reply to
Gary Crowell / VCP

I third the comments from Gary and qrk. It is just much cleaner and less prone to somehow/someone leaving those mounting points unconnected regardless of where they connect. They are part of the electrical design and therefore need to be defined, constrained and controlled, usually within the schematic.

-- Sincerely, Brad Velander

mounting

give

it ok to