SuperSpice and new component

I need to analyse VERY simple circuit with SuperSpice (or should I use some other program?). Schematics has some resistors and 'special type' of (coax)amplifiers. All that I know about those amplifiers is that their U*I=22,5Watt, but that should be all that I need. It is connected to power supply =63V DC. I want to know the (DC)current that those amplifiers are using and their voltage.

How do I add that type of amplifiers to SuperSpice component database?

I do not need any complex analysis, just DC voltages and currents. I have used Derive for (numerical) solving system of nonlinear equations, but SuperSpice should be easier for modifying schematics..etc?

Reply to
orangeKDS

You can always email me direct. Support is all free.

(or should I use

No:-)

This don't seem to mean much. Amps have all sorts of specs, like gain, bandwidth, noise, slew rate etc.

I presume you mean the specific amp model which is a ".subckt". ".subckt" models are placed in library text files, usually with the extension .lib. You need to find out what the amp model is.

Adding a file with models is just a matter of drag-dropping the file from windows explorer to the SS main window. You aslo ope existing files and past in the model text

When you try and place the ".subckt" it will want to be attached to a symbol. The GUI will guide you through selecting an existing symbol, or you can create a block symbol automatically, or draw one from scratch using the symbol editor.

Yes it is. However, I need more specific info though to sort out your problem. Your amp spec is pretty much meaningless.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

gain,

but I really don't need all that. When I try to solve it manually, I write down Kirchhoffs rules and equations for componenets, use math program for numerical solving of system and thats ALL. I just want program to make it easier for me when for eg. removing one resistor. To me, (coax) amplifier is a 'strange' resistor with U=22/I. Its a 'black box' with two wires and I don't wanna know more about it. My problem is calculating ONLY power supply of amps, so it should be really simple to solve it.

database?

yes, (but its not really an 'amp' to me, at least not now)

Reply to
orangeKDS

'To construct a non-linear resistor, one can set up a voltage dependent current source as a non-linear function of its own terminal voltage. I've never tried it, but believe a behavioral source's describing function can include frequency. But even if you could, why would you wish to model a non realizable component?'

What I need is to 'construct' a nonlinear resistor that has: I=P/U (P=const.=22.5Watt)

how do I do it?

Reply to
orangeKDS

of course it means the same as V.. I've been using symbol U as voltage for years in school.. so I thought everyone else used it too, my mistake., sorry

The 'amplifier' has constant power: V*I=22.5Watt, that is it, nothing more..

I have been trying to use your users guide and part that describes: 3.2.3. Non-linear Dependent Sources but as you can see I'm a total newbie and need help badly..

Reply to
orangeKDS

Just use a G source (behavioral), where G = W/V (W=22.5)

I don't know SuperSpice, but that expression _might_ cause convergence issues. If so try:

G = W/(abs(V)+0.001)

to avoid a divide by zero.

...Jim Thompson

Until you tell us what "U" is, we don't know. Do you want to confirm it might be "V", for voltage?

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

An amplifier is not a resister. The problem here, is that you are essentially, talking gibberish. "U" means nothing, other then as a referance desigater.

But *we* need to know what your talking about to help you. You are using notation that means, essentially, nothing in electronics.

Probably is, if you can tell us what you are actualy trying to do.

Do you mean somting to do with

V=IR

or V=P/I

Until you formulate you problem correctly, or explain in more detail what you are trying to do so we can formulate it for you, no one can help you.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

Oi, I happened to be in my registry today. I had a look at your software once and then uninstalled it. What's that anasoft/superspice crap doing in my registry?

DNA

Reply to
Genome

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Hello orange, this is an example how you would write it in a netlist. B1 is a behaviorial current source. The current is I = const/actual_voltage .

B1 a 0 I=22.5/V(a)

What you see above is SPICE instruction line. It can be also the result of a schematic containing a B-source. I have attached a schematic file from another SPICE program. It's LTspice. This example sweeps the voltage from 20V to 60V. You can download LTspice with this link.

There are many other SPICE programs around, but not all have behavioral sources.

Best Regards, Helmut

This is the schematic file "test.asc".

Version 4 SHEET 1 880 680 WIRE 32 208 32 160 WIRE 32 336 32 288 WIRE 32 368 32 336 WIRE 208 160 32 160 WIRE 208 208 208 160 WIRE 208 336 32 336 WIRE 208 336 208 288 FLAG 32 368 0 FLAG 208 160 a SYMBOL voltage 32 192 R0 SYMATTR InstName V1 SYMATTR Value 63 SYMBOL bi 208 208 R0 SYMATTR InstName B1 SYMATTR Value I=22.5/V(a) TEXT 32 80 Left 0 !.dc V1 20 100 1 TEXT 40 24 Left 0 ;I = P / V

Reply to
Helmut Sennewald

yes, that is what i need, but how to do it in super spice?

I have tried modifying 'functional' component named COS_XN like this:

..SUBCKT COS_XN _ssi_pin0 1

  • _SS_Symbol [C:\Program Files\AnaSoft\SuperSpice\system\SchematicBlocks.ssm] [2PinBlock] B1 _ssi_pin0 1 I=22/(V(_ssi_pin0,1)) ..ENDS

but it doesn't work. Please tell me how to make it work.

BTW, does ltspice have nice and greatlooking GUI like superspice? Can I easily draw schematics in it? I don't wanna type in node numbers and elements like in old spice, ever.

Reply to
orangeKDS

Well, it just stays there. It don't do anything. Its completely passive. You can just delete the whole lot if you want. I did have a go once at improving the delete on uninstall, but it got to be a bit of pain with the install/uninstall program I use.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

it works!! :)) where do I set how many digits of precision is needed?

Reply to
orangeKDS

Not sure what you mean by this. The calculation itself always uses the full range that the compiler supports, which is something like 12 digits of accuracy. This never need setting. You can change the number of digits displayed by clicking on the graph and going to the Options/misc tab. The default is usually quite adequate.

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

And Wimpows has even more licenses than LTSpice ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Could be.

However one of my clients tried LTSpice on a *complex* BiCMOS circuit and got spurious results, not matching actual performance like PSpice did.

I suspect that your speed-up algorithms, just ducky for SMPS, can skip over important stuff in other types of circuits.

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

qrk/Mark, Could you send Mike the circuit? I don't recall now what was involved.

...Jim Thompson

orangeKDS,

LTspice had integrated schematic capture. It also lets you add SPICE directives on the schematic and has dialog boxes that let you mix and match editing the SPICE syntax in text or checking boxes on a dialog box. You might want to check it out. More full licenses of LTspice are distribed per day than, say, PSpice/Schematic/ Orcad does in a year.

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Engelhardt

Jim,

Wrong-Horse-Thompson -- stuck in the wrong simulator saddle again!

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Engelhardt

Jim,

Nothing that speeds up the SMPS stuff would corrupt the BiCMOS results. The SMPS stuff doesn't impact the SPICE stuff, its a library of ABM, special devices, and HDL's w/ some VerilogA-type extensions. Anyway, people upgrade routinely from PSpice and hspice to LTspice for it's speed, *accuracy*, and convergence specifically in BiCMOS full-chip simulation. LTspice was first a IC simulation tool and second a SMPS tool. BTW, it now has a new data file format called Fast Access that allows you to load waveforms from full chip sims extremely fast, i.e., if you have a

5G file with 2K data traces the load time for a new trace drops from 5min to 1sec with not one bit loss of accuracy.

I'd have to see the circuit to tell what happened. Please feel free to send the files I need to duplicate the problem and I can tell you what the problem was. Just to rub it in, last time you sent me a nelist, LTspice gave the correct result and PSpice gave the wrong one because it isn't as accurate at integrating differential equations.

The most effective thing for me would be if you first make sure you're using the current version(2.13x) and see if the problem occurs both in the Normal and Alternate solver(Tools=>Control Panel=>SPICE=>

Solver)

Regards,

--Mike

Reply to