Chassis Ground layout for better ESD and EMI compliance

I have 2 USB, 2 Ehthernet and 2 RS232 connectors on the PCB. USB conns are one side, Ethernet conns on the 2nd side and RS232 on the 3rd side of the board. All are through hole connectors and on top layer with separate chassis ground area on each side for connectors shields. So I have three chassis ground islands on th board for three sets of these connectors. If we have to connect the chassis ground to the signal ground through 1M Resistor and 1nf/2KV capacitor, which of the following is better and why.

1) keep the 3 chassis ground areas separate and connect each of them to the signal ground through 1M Res and 1nf/2KV cap. In this case there will be 3 pairs of 1M and 1nf in parallel. Is this an issue? 2) Have one chassis ground covering all three sides of the board and connect to the signal ground with 1M Res and 1nf/2KV cap. 3) What is the better place to connect the chassis ground and signal ground? Is it at the power supply return? 4) I have seen one reference design on the net with power supply return and connector shields connected together in a copper area and this copper area connected to the signal ground through a ferrite bead.

It is an 8 layer board with two signal ground planes and chassis ground on all layers beneath the connectors stitched together at multiple places with vias.

Thanks mark

Reply to
Mark

Why isolate the PCB ground from the chassis? The best thing to do is bolt the (single!) PCB ground plane to the chassis as many places as possible, and ground the connector shells to the chassis, too.

John

Thanks John. Isolated the chassis and signal grounds for better ESD immunity.

-M

Reply to
Mark

But you're making it worse!

The pattern is familiar: isolate grounds for some reason, then get cold feet and add networks between the isolated ground and the chassis ground to try to make them the same potential.

I have a customer who is doing that to me now: insisting on isolation, and insisting on a network to bypass the isolated ground to chassis ground. The details are even worse. Makes no sense.

This same customer insists on shielding all cables, but grounding the shields at one end only! Nominally the source end; but the cables have signals going in both directions!

I tried to give them an analogy they could understand:

Imagine the end of a garden hose. Imagine a bunch of twigs sticking out the end. Grab the end of the hose and shake it. What happens to the twigs?

John

try using a small choke, it provices DC path, but limits AC noise.

Best place is near PS, and one only if you can to prevent ground loops

The 1 meg are more for static bleed.

Reply to
anospam

The areas where the screws are should be compliantly plated. Nickel, gold, whatever reduces dissimilar metal effects and thus corrosion. And _no_ solder, a very common mistake. Solder tends to creep under pressure and the mechanical force gradually sags. Worst case the screw works itself out during a lengthy and rough transport.

Another common mistake is to have the clearance too small. Then a washer may partially ride on the soldermask, not a good thing.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg
[...]

They grow roots into the hose?

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Recognize this?

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Zeit.jpg

John

Ground early and often! ...except where you can't. :-(

Reply to
krw

BTW, John, what's your take on this (I have the problem, in spades):

krw

Can't read the upper word but this is funny. They had to cancel one day of the Amgen tour. This Sunday we had snow here in the foothills, at elevation 1400ft. In the middle of May!

Oh, yeah, how could I forget. Hot is global warming and cold is always just weather. Right?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Of course not! Hot is "global warming" and cold is "global climate change".

Reply to
krw

If you must use these for safety reasons: Capacitive stitching has about the same effect at the test lab as a super-loud muffler has on the sheriff who just stopped a kid for speeding ;-)

Then one also has to worry about the reverse path. What if some large EM spike gets in?

No way to use optocouplers instead? It'll be cheaper, too.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The sticker says Zeitgeist Racing Team. Or maybe Zeitgeist Drinking Team. It was kinda hard to photograph.

"Warm Beer * Cold Women"

They had to cancel one day

Lots of snow, and some rain, in Truckee last few days.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/CABIN.JPG

I just got an email from Alpine Meadows. They are re-opening for skiing for the 4th of July weekend. They got 72 feet of snow this year.

All the reservoirs are full, and the melt has just begun. Long, hot showers. So much for the idiot climate predictions.

John

Some day we'll have to meet there for a burger and Chimay Triple.

A few years ago that was different but today I couldn't name one person in this whole neighborhood who still believes AGW is true. Bill Sloman could go door to door and stomp his feet on the ground, it won't change their minds. Ok, this ain't San Francisco but it's still California.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

on,

he

ave

Aren't we near the bottom of the 11 year solar cycle? In five or six years there will be a different tune again.

We're having record rains, here in Western NY. So muddy, that driving the tractor means leaving 6" (15cm) tracks in the yard.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Maybe next time you should try actually reading the post.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

Apparently huge places, like lots of India and China, are feeding their people from agriculture based on over-pumping aquifers. And they are running out. If anything ever revives our balance-of-trade fiasco, it will be food.

John

ation,

sis

g the

s have

ing

ays

Hmmm, Isn't there some aquifer in the mid-west that our farmers are pumping dry?

Too much water in the Mississippi and not enough in Texas.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

No, it increases noise.

Ground loops are good. It means you're keeping everything grounded.

John