Relay footprint with Orcad Layout

Hi everybody, I have a little problem in assigning a footprint to a 8 pins relay using "OrCAD Layout". I have a power relay with 8 pins: 1 for coil1, 1 for coil2, 2 each for NO, NC and COMON. Lagically speaking this component has 5 connetions (coil1, coil2, NO, COMMON, NC) but 8 fisical connections. So I have designed a schematic component with 5 pins and a footprint with 8 pins. So here comes the problem:how can I assign 2 padstacks to a same pin? I am a bit baffled..."Layout" doesn't allow to rename two different padstacks with the same name or link two pads with a same pin.

Hints?

Reagards, Alex

Reply to
alessandro.sassi.engineering

I think you should show the pins on the schematic with a line between them on the symbol. You can connect them with traces on your layout, or not, depending on the requirements.

There's a similar issue with tact switches which have internal jumpers (4 pins for an SPST-NO switch).

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Make the schematic show the part with all the pins. If two pins are in parallel, show that on the schematic part and connect the two pins together in the schematic drawing. This is common practice. Would you make a schematic symbol of an FPGA showing only one ground pin when the part actually has 78 ground pins? The nice thing about CAD, as opposed to doing this the old way using tape, your net list from the schematic is transfered to the PCB layout making wiring errors non-existant if you remember to perform a DRC. Don't try short-cut the system because you're too lazy to make a proper schematic symbol! It's there to help you.

--
Mark
Reply to