Mounting holes in Protel

First, let me thank everyone for their patience. I do not want to be a bother and try to help myself as much as I can before posting here.

I am at the point now where I need to spec mounting holes for some AMP circular connectors. I have successfully created the parts in my Protel library, but I used a circular overlay to depict the mounting holes.

How should I properly do this in order for it to appear in the drill drawing?

Thank you one and all. You have always been so tolerant and helpful.

Ivan

Reply to
Ivan

I place individual pads for mounting holes. Such holes can also be placed in the footprint - just give them a pin number of 0.

You can define both the pad size and the hole size as required. I usually make the pad the same size as the screw head or other hardware

- that ensures I won't put tracks too close to the hole.

It is possible to define the hole as "unplated", but I expect that will require an extra manufacturing step, and I don't see any problem leaving plating in a mounting hole.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Ivan

Create pads for the mounting holes, making the hole diameter clearance for the screws and the pad diameter about the same as the washer you intend to use. Number these pads zero (0) and they won't pick up any connections.

Graham Holloway WPS Electronics

Reply to
Graham Holloway

Just for variation on the answers, I commonly will name my mounting pads in a footprint, "MTG". Likewise on pass-thru connectors I name the pass-thru hole pads, "Passthru". It is then very easy to find them and put them into a pad class for rules. Or the neater trick is you can write a rule for one pad by it's pad name and it works for all pads with that same name.

-- Sincerely, Brad Velander

to be a

here.

some AMP