CadStar apertures

Hello.

I'm trying to figure out why I can't seem to get CadStar to print out

apertures on some simple pcb designs.

The version I'm using is antique, V2.4.1, which is used as I

understand it, because it's simpler for students than a more up to

date version.

Trouble is, when I print out the copper layers I get the tracking

& the pads but the pads are blind without the aperture which

means that once I've produced a pcb there's nothing to guide the

drill.

I've used other pcb software previously & this has never been a

problem.

rgds

Zeit.

Reply to
zeit_ghost

With a lot of packages that is the default because the holes are drilled automagically. There is usually some way to enable the holes for manual drilling. If no-one else can help I know the people who worked on the original CADSTAR, they subsequently set up their own PCB software company and I use their software.

Leon

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Cadstar does not include a "hole" in any pads unless the shape is defined as an annulus (which I have never used in 15+ years of cadstar work). When post-processing, the only thing you can produce is a "drill detail" which identifies each hole size by a letter. Normally you would produce an excellon file for use with an NC drilling machine.

HTH

Geo

Reply to
Geo

V2 was a long (long) time ago but I think I remember that if you print out to a plotter (HPGL) it does show the holes.

Reply to
R.Lewis

Thanks guys.

The previous incumbent had a special library of parts or so it

transpires...

I guess I'll have to find that!

best regards

Zeit.

Reply to
zeit_ghost

Hi, guys.

The "special library" does indeed exist.

However, it isn't sufficient on its own to generate pads with

apertures.

After much effort, it transpires that under Settings/Assignment/Pads

you can select "Annulus" instead of "circle" as the pad type.

And it has to be the particular pad type used on the pcb of course.

As obscure methods of doing something easy, this plainly takes the

biscuit...

cheers,

Zeit.

Reply to