LCD mounting

Hello group, I've been trying to mount a HD44780 compatible, 16x2 character, LCD module inside of an ABS plastic enclosure. The cutout that I made (using a hacksaw and a file) for the LCD is not pretty. So, what is the best way to mount a LCD display like this inside of an enclosure? Is there a commercially available LCD bezel for a 16x2 character display? (?No luck on google) Thanks for your help, Matt Meerian

Reply to
Matt Meerian

In the past I've used a full size layout of the display tack glued(UHU stick) to the case and carefully drilled the 4 holes for mounting. Drill 4 'corner' holes for the display and cut out the 'rectangle' for the display. I use the 4-40 post hardware found on all LPT and COM ports as 'standoffs'. Either use a PVC sheet protector or a thin 'plexiglas' as a cover for the LCD wedged between the LCD and the case. Patience is the key to getting it right and looking good.Slow and steady !

hth jay

Reply to
j.b. miller

I am not aware of an off-the-shelf bezel. However, FWIW there are two ways I work with ABS for big, highly visible holes like this:

  1. Score the outline with an Exacto (on the outside of the box) - the deeper the better. Just keep running around the outline with your blade. Drill a row of holes in the center of the scrap portion. Use needle-nose pliers to bend the plastic inwards (i.e. grip from inside). The plastic will stretch and break along the score mark and leave a clean-edge hole visible from the outside. Since it will whiten, you will want to run the blade around the inside of the cut edge.
  2. (Better, but requires more practice to get it looking good and may be difficult to get enough access) - Use a nibbling tool.
Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Yes, there are. PRD Products is one supplier and it's okay for small quantity products, and they are available through distribution. I prefer a one-piece overlay that is flat and sealed and covers the whole panel.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The slickest way to do it is with a CNC machine. Maybe you can find a machinist or other hobbyist near you who has one. I built a small one and it makes cutouts in plastic boxes awfully simple now. I recommend it as a "must-do" project for any serious electronics/model builder hobbyist.

Reply to
Garrett Mace

look under their electronics enclosures

Reply to