How to get from FreePCB to AutoCad or just print; or suggest a better suite.

Is there a way to get the PCB trace from FreePCB to AutoCad? I was hoping that I would get lucky and just be able to copy and paste but that hasn't worked at all.

I just gave CDNEX a shot too but without any luck. CDNEX is supposed to be able to take the gerber files and translate them into .dxf. I don't know anything about gerber files and when I try to run CDNEX I get an error 20 after giving the layer number.

I could also possibly settle for being able to print from FreePCB but although I see the option to print, it is always grayed out and won't allow me.

I've been struggling my way through various free programs trying to accomplish a goal and pretty much going with whatever programs I've been able to figure out. Right now I am using:

LTSpice - for circuit simulation and netlist export. FreePCB - for netlist import and component placing. fpcroute - to export .dsn files. freerouting.net - to do autorouting and export .ses files. FreePCB - again to import the .ses files and do some final editing.

I would prefer to be able to get the graphics on to AutoCad so that I can have full control of the PCBs appearance. I also like the way the vector graphics print. I need to print so that I can produce the occassional Gootee board.

Any suggestions on a suite of programs to accomplish all of this? These are all free of course so I would prefer suggestions for free programs but I might be willing to spend a total of about $200 to be able to accomplish all of the above tasks. Also, I'm running windows. I would love to run Linux but it is not an option for me right now. Also, the last time I tried to use Cygwin I found it to be a lesson in futility. In other words, the gEDA package sounds great but I probably won't touch it unless it comes in a windows friendly package.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, ll

Reply to
laylow

*-*-*-provided-schematic-entry-*-*+%20LTSpice.import+gschem.schematic.capture+zz-zz+qq+the.gEDA.Suite+uu+LTSpice-*-*-runs-any-syntactically-correct-SPICE-netlist

To a guy with a hammer, everything looks like a nail??

An "ECAD" seems so much more apt.

Please *do* specify why not. For $200 you could easily buy another HDD to use as a Linux partition. Hell, you could probably use someone's cast-off HDD for free.

...or was it a *libraries* problem? I can see you now, screaming and tearing your hair out. 8-(

*-*-*+your.*.*.expertise+theoretically.possible+*.*.yourself+version+ahvezda+distribution.and+2007+missing.dependencies+*-*-despair+Linux

There's nothing more "free" than gratis AND libre.

Considering the hoops you're already jumping thru and your apparent unwillingness to add a Linux partition,

*this* would be no more cumbersome a solution to getting gEDA working on a Windoze box:
*-Knoppix-like-CD-with-gEDA-*-*+Quantian+dual-boot-*-*+Win-2000-or-XP+zzz+*-brand-spanking-new-*-*+zillions+*-distro-*-*-providing-open-source-scientific-and-engineering-apps
$2 . . In addition, if you are a Windoze user and are such a fan of free software, it's hard to believe you haven't stumbled across KiCAD.
Reply to
JeffM

You've got me all wrong, I'm a guy with a nail and everything looks like a hammer!

Okay, I'm happy to indulge anyone that has tried to help me. I can't install Linux on my work pc, my pc at home is down and I haven't touched it in months, and the HDD on my laptop is full. I used to think of myself as a computer guy but lately I'm fed up with fixing computers so I probably won't work on my pc until I have to. Other than that, I don't have a good excuse for never installing Linux. I've had Debian/Libranet on disc for years and have never got around to installing it. Right now I am frustrated that I have spent more of the past two weeks fooling around with computer programs instead of actually building the PCB.

8-

The first time I ever heard of Cygwin was when I needed to do some CFD Flow Modeling. Documentation was scarce and it seemed that everyone assumed the end user was familiar with the process. I don't know if it was more of a problem with Cygwin or with the CFD program. I would fix my computer and install Linux before I ever try to use Cygwin again.

box:

I'm guessing here but it sounds like "a Knoppix like gEDA disc" is a bootable CD that runs a Linux OS and allows gEDA to be run? That would be cool.

Yes, hard to believe I guess. It looks very impressive, I think I'll try it.

After this project is done, I probably will install Linux and go with the gEDA. I just can't stand putting this project off anymore.

Thanks, ll

Reply to
laylow

--snip--

Further reading in the FreePCB documentation revealed that the printing options haven't been implemented yet. It also suggested the use of ViewMate 9.6 which I am able to print from just fine.

I'm still open to other suggestions to go from simulation>autorouting/ manual routing>printed PCB pattern.

Thanks all, ll

Reply to
laylow