Editing a pdf file ...

OK. So I've got a manual from a company that I'm doing some work for. It's a pdf file, nice quality images. I want to combine a few of the images, to create composite pages that I can print out tiled across four sheets. I don't have a problem with the printing. The pdf viewer that I'm using at the moment, allows for that, and I do it all the time to get printouts of schematics up to a sensible size.

Where I am having trouble, is finding some software that will do a simple (erasure) edit of part of a page. A 'for instance', then. One of the pages shows a layout of one of the boards. I want to print it in the middle of a

4-sheet tile set, with a clear surround on all four sides so that I can either hand annotate some of the things on it, or add in images from elsewhere in the document. Trouble is, there's a bloody great header all across the top of the page, and a footer at the bottom, so I want to either (preferably) 'delete' these from the page, leaving just the board image, or alternately, select the board image from the page, in its pdf format, and drop it elsewhere, still in its full-res pdf format, without going through any in-between conversions to bitmap or whatever, as happens if you use a snapshot tool to dump it to the clipboard.

You would have thought it would be easy to find a piece of freeware that could do a 'select - edit - cut' operation on a page, but I'm buggered if I can find one. There are loads of packages out there that claim to be pdf editors with endless features, and they do have, but none seem to have just simple tools to allow me to do what I want.

I used to have a fully registered version of Acrobat, and I'm sure that allowed you to do it, but I am no longer able to use it, because when I upgraded my OS to Win 7, it was no longer compatible, and there was no route within Adobe, to upgrade an existing installation.

So, does anyone know of a SIMPLE piece of free software, that will definitely allow me to work on this document 'in situ' and preferably by just being able to define and select an area and then erase it, or define and select an area then copy and paste it ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

What you probably need is a program that can convert the document to "plain form". You can edit it, then reconvert to PDF.

Type "pdf converter" in Google. There's a lot of free PDF converters out there.

If necessary, you can send the edited material to me, and I'll do a PDF conversion. (Thanks for the warning about W7.)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Might try the free PDF-XChange reader from Tracker Software

I don't use the free one, myself (been using their "Pro" version for years) but it may have the ability to overlay existing content with a rectangle, which can match the page's background color, and then add comments over top of that, if desired. Then "print" the individual pages out to PDF format.

Also try the free Foxit reader. I believe that it also has commenting tools.

Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to
Rich Webb

Free online PDF editor:

Free, but limited to 10MB files and 100 pages. There's also a problem with security as you have to upload the document to their web site in order for the editor to work online.

PDFedit:

Free, not simple, but should do whatever you might need:

The way I usually do it is to import the PDF document into MS Word (Office 2003), make the necessary changes, and save the document as a PDF using CutePDF.

This usually reformats the document, but that's fine as I now have more control over formatting in MS Word than I would in most PDF editor. It's also easier to modify graphics (i.e. schematics and diagrams) in an external editor (GIMP) than inside a PDF editor.

If you use LibreOffice (spinoff from Open Office), there is an extension to Writer (pdfimport) that will import the PDF. However, it's not a real editor as it imports the PDF into the Draw drawing program, and not into Writer. You can edit a few lines here and there, but that's about it. Export as PDF is also built in for saving the results.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

£228 including VAT for an upgrade from Acrobat 8 and below:

What version of Acrobat? Acrobat Standard or Pro?

32 or 64 bit Windoze 7?

Looks like Acrobat 9 and later are compatible with Windoze 7.

I have Acrobat Pro 6 mostly running on Windoze 7 at a customers. I had to use "run in compatibility mode" to make it work: Make sure you are installing the program as an administrator. Right click on the setup file and select properties. Now click on compatibility tab. Under compatibility tab, check "Run this program in compatibility mode". From the drop down menu select Windows XP. Run the install.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Rich. I have the 'free' version of the Pro PDF-XChange reader, but have not found anywhere in that one, that allows me to do a simple edit. I also downloaded Foxit that I was sure would have the feature, but again, not as far as I can see. It will do everything including scratching your arse for you, but define - select - cut ? Nope ... :-|

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I really did not want to have to mess around converting to other formats and importing and exporting to other progs etc. There will be quite a lot of iterations to achieve what I want, if I go the whole hog and add snipped graphics from elsewhere in the document. There is a lot of good work to come from these people, and it is worth spending some time to make the documentation more 'service friendly', but there is a limit to the amount of time I want to spend doing this ... Thanks for the offer of conversion help.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks Jeff. I'll look into it.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

You don't actually edit the existing text so much as stick a comment box over it so that the area to be "erased" is still there (under the box) but no longer visible. Print that page to a new PDF and voilà!

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Sorry, bad URL. Try:

-- Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com

150 Felker St #D
Santa Cruz CA 95060
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

En el artículo , Arfa Daily escribió:

So run your existing version of Acrobat on an XP virtual machine within Win7. It's called XP Compatability Mode or something like that.

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)

I actually don't have it any more. It was a fully registered version on a machine that I bought from an outfit that I did work for, when they packed it all in. The machine was a properly registered XP Pro one, and all updates to the Acrobat and OS were done on a regular basis. Then the machine was 'upgraded' to Win 7, and when I came to reinstall the Acrobat, it wouldn't have any of it. I'm sure I tried to install it under a compatibility mode as well, but it was having none of it. When I went to the Adobe site, expecting to be able to download some patch-pack, as it was a registered version, I discovered that there was no route to upgrading - only buying a new version, as Jeff has said. I didn't use the creation side of things enough to justify the expense, so I ended up just letting it go, and downloading the free Reader 9. The original drive that both the built application, and the original installation files was on, has since failed, and I don't think that I now have it anywhere else.

I've actually now managed to do the basic thing that I wanted. I ended up very carefully zooming the image (that was hard to do precisely, as the zoom bar wanted to 'snap' in 25% increments and didn't allow actual values to be typed in) until the bits that I didn't want were off the top and bottom of the screen, and the bit that I did want was centred. I then did a "print" and then "current view". Finally, I used the "Tile large sheets" option with the 'composite view' selected, and then used the print zoom to find the point where it just jumped up to two pages, and left an even border around the edge.

When it was printed off and joined, I made my notes by hand, with a draftsman's fine tip pen, which is good enough for this job. Some jobs are just too difficult, frustrating and time consuming to do on a computer, and this, I think, is one of them. Whilst cutting and pasting and manipulating and juggling images onto sheets, and annotating in pretty bubbles with perfect text, looks all very pretty and professional, the end result that I've achieved is just as practical from a repair-use point of view, and took probably a quarter or less of the time, ignoring of course, the time wasted on trying to find software that would do it ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Michael A. Terrell

En el artículo , Arfa Daily escribió:

There are a couple of good alternative PDF readers. I use Foxit Reader, which allows you to set a zoom down to three decimal places. Free.

Amen to that :-)

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)

Reading between the lines, it appears that all you need is an efficient way of extracting a JPG out of a PDF file. No big deal:

The PDF-Xchange Viewer includes a *free* PDF to JPG converter. I'm usually lazy and just convert the entire document, which extracts a large number of JPG's, most of which I discard. There are other PDF to JPG converters, but this is the only free one that I found which actually worked.