Is there a package that will read and convert any CAD schematic and/or gerber file to its format

Hi everyone, Can anyone suggest a software package that I can use to translate any CAD file (well at least the popular ones) to its own format so that I can use only that software to view and import files created in other CAD programs? Somewhat you may call Universal CAD reader/importer. Thanks. Jaypee

Reply to
Jaypee

The Pulsonix software I use can import ASCII files from most other packages:

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Pulsonix stands head and shoulders above anything else when it comes to importing. A previous post from Leon:

*-*-*-*-*-with-*-Pulsonix-*+*-*-*-*-*-any-serious-CAD-programs-*-can-*-make-a-net-list-that-has-the-*-package-information

Stuart and Ian comparing gEDA & KiCAD (netlists only):

*-file-formats+zz-zz+qq+5-at-present

Reply to
JeffM

Pulsonix is good -- I'm a happy, registered user of it -- but beware that there are limitations to what will import successfully. Where I work we also use ORCAD, and although Pulsonix claims to be able to import and export ORCAD schematics, the translation ends up somewhat flawed for anything but the simplest of schematics. I fully expect this is the case for other CAD packages as well.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Jaypee, You are looking for a magical tool that really just doesn't exist.

However there is one tool that I know of that comes sort of close, it is called Autovue. As it's name suggests it is only a viewer, but it does do slightly more because you can also use it to retrieve data from within the files (i.e. part numbers, desciptions, nets/netlists or other items entered as part field/parameter type data. See it's supported products list at:

The reason that your magical tool doesn't exist is that there are too many variables between file formats which may or may not have equivalents in the other packages. So there are usually a number of gotchas when translating from one format to another. This even pops up with packages that support importing only a few specific competitors formats so imagine the possible issues trying to import every data format across the market. i.e. Just as a simple example, package A supports polygon area cutouts, package B doesn't, so how do you convert package A files correctly into package B format. Or another example, in EDA program Pads it supports non-round vias (square/rectangular), Protel doesn't so all translations to Protel have the pads changed to round and then the sizing is usually an issue. Another example I am familiar with is also a PADs - Protel conversion issue, PADs readily supports special 'drawn' pad shapes, Protel doesn't, at least not cleanly. Translations also usually take manual intervention and clean-up at levels from minimal to extensive, for these reasons and others.

Take that and throw in all the variables across all the differing levels/types of packages available and you have a huge nightmare. Then throw on top of that you have a huge expectation for a 100% clean conversion from 'most' users and you can see the train collison coming even before it happens.

Even when you have a package that says it imports a bunch of competitive formats, proceed with caution. In most cases there is a limited/restrictive list of compatible versions for those formats. Don't trust a package that advertises conversions to do so wholely and completely across all versions. In some cases they are only supported once the file is saved/converted to an ASCII version (or other intermediary format, not the normal file storage format), i.e. Pulsonix. They are specifically targeted and intended for users of the other system to be able to purchase the new CAD tool and convert/import their old designs into the new tool. i.e. The customer has the original program and can do the conversions to ASCII and/or save in the previous supported version formats that are suitable for importing to the new tool.

--
Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

"Jaypee"  wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
> Can anyone suggest a software package that I can use to translate any
> CAD file (well at least the popular ones) to its own format so that I
> can use only that software to view and import files created in other
> CAD programs? Somewhat you may call Universal CAD reader/importer.
> Thanks.
> Jaypee

Reply to
Brad Velander