where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

I'm trying to find a source that would carry circuit boards for projects
that appeared in Radio Electronics Magazine.  Thank you in advance.

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

Most of their projects had a layout to make your own boards. Unless you have a Delorean and a good supply of Flux Capacitors, that is the only way that you could buy one.

The few articles that listed a suppler wanted to sell a kit of parts with the board. Most of those kits were sold for a year or two before they were NLA.

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

It would cost me more to make a board right now, since I don't have any
boards or the chemicals needed, than it's worth.  Just wondered if
anyone existed out there with perhaps extra boards.  If not, who out
there could take a jpeg (digital cut out from the article) and make it
into a board at reasonable cost?

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

You might find a local hobbyist who could do that, but PC Board houses want digital files and have minimum runs plus setup costs. Is there a local 'Maker' group?

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

Building a kit is kinda mindless. Make your own. It's not hard.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zaftysxtgclxj82/Z412_Proto.JPG?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yd19osiwz1z74s4/HV_Proto_2.JPG?raw=1

You can get parts from Mouser or Digikey.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?
ts
 have a Delorean and a good supply of Flux Capacitors, that is the only way
 that you could buy one.
th the board. Most of those kits were sold for a year or two before they we
re NLA.

You may be in luck... if you can find a Gerber file of the board.  An image
 in a magazine isn't good enough.  There is an guy who makes board for a fa
irly low cost per square inch.  You do have to buy three of them, but still
 pretty much better than anyone else around.

https://oshpark.com/

2 Layer Prototype
3 PCBs
$5 per square inch
Ships in under 12 days

Oh yeah, you'll need drill file if you want plated through holes. If you ar
e happy drilling your own, no issue.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?
ects
ou have a Delorean and a good supply of Flux Capacitors, that is the only w
ay that you could buy one.
with the board. Most of those kits were sold for a year or two before they
were NLA.

ge in a magazine isn't good enough.  There is an guy who makes board for a
fairly low cost per square inch.  You do have to buy three of them, but sti
ll pretty much better than anyone else around.
are happy drilling your own, no issue.

It was a hobby magazine that ceased publication in 2003. The articles were
intended to use hand bade boards, like I did in the late '60s. A blank piec
e of un-etched single sided board and a resist pen did the layout. I doubt
tat any of those boards ever had Gerbers.

Maybe Don Lancaster could shed some light on this, since he wrote articles
for Hobby Electronics magazines back then.

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

The classic way to do it as a hobbyist back in the 70's was to trace the
board layout by hand and use a centre pop to transfer all the holes onto
the copper side. Then join the lands up with a suitable thick permanent
marker pen. They sold proper resist pens but trial and error most dense
ones worked OK if they didn't leave thin streaks.

The old copper etch chemistries were simple and still available for
hobbyists being warmed strong ferric chloride solution (reuasble) or the
more dodgy but cleaner cold HCl/H2O2 mix (which you must never store).

Beginners tend to break the fine drills putting the holes in.

Almost any makerspace or hackspace ought to have the ability to make
PCBs in some form or other. These days probably by printing a mask onto
an acetate sheet and using a pretreated photoresist board.

Some popular designs still have PCBs available from who ever the
magazine contracted them out to. I was able to buy a theremin board from
a UK maker decades after the magazine had ceased to exist. Amazing what
a google search with the right keywords can turn up.

Martin Brown

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

   The first time I used HCl/H2O2 instead if ferric chloride, I never
went back to ferric chloride. It really worked well and fast.
For my HCL I used muratic acid for swimming pools.

Ya, a dremel drill press helps a whole lot.

OH, try this, > https://tinyurl.com/yyndwda9

Mikek

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

What percentage is that?  I use HCl on my toilet to clean rust stains and t
hat's 20%.  It's available in smaller bottles, about 20 oz I think.

I bought one of those and it's a piece of crap.  It's all plastic and bends
 when it shouldn't.  Totally worthless.  I ended up buying a full size floo
r drill press and have never regretted it, $200 from Costco many years ago.

r-Woodworking-and-Jewelry-Making-1097/100507168?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-B-D
25T-25_7_POWER_TOOL_ACCESSORIES-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-PowerToolAccessorie
s&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-B-D25T-25_7_POWER_TOOL_ACCESSORIES-Multi-NA-Fe
ed-PLA-NA-NA-PowerToolAccessories-71700000056728358-58700005290277020-92700
046897694916&msclkid=0e5007394e271254ae805a9a38975304&gclid=CLiwqZL4meU
CFcEjgQodMy4O7w&gclsrc=ds

That looks much better than the Dremel stand.  Cheaper too!

I may need to pick up one!

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

  I just looked, the bottle says 31.45% Hydrochloric acid.
  I don't remember the ratio of H2O2 I used. I found the ratio on
someone's webpage.

   Maybe they have cheapened it, the one I have is a least 30 years old.
After reading your next line I see I didn't post the dremel drill press
you were thinking of. But it holds a dremel drill.
   The one I use is at least 30 years old, so probably not built the
same anymore.
                            Mikek

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

I'm still using that old technique, but it's getting harder to find dry
ferric chloride in pellets these days, in Yurp anyway. The vast majority
of suppliers insist on supplying it as ready-made solution which is no
good to me. Or else what you see advertised as FC is in fact sodium
persulphate, which takes at least 3 times as long to do the job.

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

  There are PCB board houses out there that will make you a proto run
of as few as ten boards and it is cheap too.

  All you need to do is lay it out again.

  Hell, switch over to all surface mount devices and you can make it
better than it ever was.

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

   Anyone can make 2-sided PCBs at home, not too expensive. Only problem
is PTH.

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?
cts

ce.

ut

Not when you use through hole parts which is most likely what will be used
on this project.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

Can you post a pic up on dropbox ???

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

No, but I can on imgur:

https://i.imgur.com/3sydgWn.jpg

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

you have a picture of the assembled pcb or a component placement
to get the scale right?

 it won't take many minutes to do in kicad

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

Sorry, I made an error.  I think I posted the wrong side/ perspective.
Here it is with scaling:

https://i.imgur.com/p0Zwywp.jpg

Re: where can I get a circuit board for a project appearing in Radio Electronics magazine?

the other one was better, but a component placement would help

Site Timeline