Is Fax Dead Yet?

I sold my fax modem years ago. Now I use a web-to-fax service for 10 cents per outgoing fax. I don't fax very often and over the years it hasn't even totaled yet to a large coffee. However, nobody can fax in but nobody does anyways..

Has fax faded away yet? Should a business still be faxable? Or does fax look old fashioned these days?

Let's say...

Fax # on business cards Fax # on signs Fax # on web sites Fax # on vans Fax # on T shirts

I think fax is not worthy of the added text space anymore.

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Good question... I average sending 1 fax per week, receive 1 fax per month.

...Jim Thompson

My choice is to keep it around for a while yet (incoming and outgoing), but not advertise or encourage it.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Signatures on docs (followed by snail mail originals) gets things moving when the movers are inclined and available to do so. This doesn't necessarily mean you need to have your own machine... if you don't mind your receiving end sniffing confidential stuff....

My fax number costs $5 a month. The machine itself is a decade old, but still dances with current MS OS. It still pays for itself.

How much does text space cost? A strange question from a usenet typist

- a veritable can of worms where professionalism is concerned.

Spammers passed the technology by about eight years ago, so maybe that tells you something.

What I'd really like to have had was a telex terminal - now there's a dusty establishment symbol.

RL

Reply to
legg

Yea me to, but that one Fax in is usually very important, like a PO or something that needs signing and returned. Buyers at large companies still like Fax. Cheers Harry

Reply to
Harry Dellamano

I think Olimex, the pcb, people need you to fax back with a CreditCard number, and as an order confirmation. Probably saves the need for a secure website Seems very sensible

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Excluding fax spam I suppose.. Which brings in another thought.. Perhaps most spammers have given up on fax. Another sign that fax is going...going...gone.

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

We still get a lot of purchase orders by fax. Outgoing, we do the occasional legal or medical (insurance stuff, prescriptions to providers) stuff. Maybe a few a day on average.

Spam (we get thousands per day) makes email a less reliable way to send important docs; some get killfiled by accident.

Our new Sharp digital copy machine has a bulk scanner mode. It will feed and digitize an entire document, both sides, and email anyone either a pdf file or a zillion tiff's. Very slick.

John

We run our business with an electronics fax service. Incoming: pdf to email. Outgoing: email and/or attached document to fax number. Used standard local phone number.

simple stuff and cheap we use

but there are dozens of services around.

Govt, and edu dept's insist on a faxed Purchase Order, but as we only sell mail order via the web, we tell them to put in a shopping cart order. The fax is of no use to us.

We do have a fax machine here, but only use it when we have to fax a dozen physical pages. Even then, we have to connect it up to a line.

We also insist on proof of ID under some circumstances, but we mostly accept scanned documents.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

Intelligent 2.83" AMOLED with touch screen for micros:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16699
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Just as there are printer drivers that allow you to direct the output of an app to a PDF file, there are printer drivers that allow you to send a fax from a computer. Last I checked, Windoze has it as a feature/option.

The sign-this-and-return-it thing has been brought up. That seems to be the only common use of fax these days.

If that never is an issue for you (and I think you would have mentioned it if it was), then going for ~4 months without any luddite clients (or potential clients) sending you enough business via fax to offset the expense, says it's time to think seriously about that whole thing.

Reply to
JeffM

I believe it's dead. You can buy a printer with decent scanner attached for less than $100 now, just scan the document and email it. No biggie.

A new word for me, luddite..

"the term Luddite has been used to describe anyone opposed to technological progress and technological change"

Ah...

Business is good without fax. I charge luddites extra. :) That's to clean the carrier pigeon poop off the window sill. :P

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Scan to a PDF

I get several junk faxes a week... on my PC-based WinFax. I fax back

20 pages of solid black... hoping they have a conventional paper fax ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I have a fax modem hooked up to the main telephone. It's off when I'm not faxing. Combine that with a scanner and printer, and I have all the faxing capabilities I need, at no monthly cost.

My mom, who is less technically inclined than I am, has a multi-function printer that includes faxing. Again, she just leaves it not plugged in to the phone when she's not faxing.

I use my fax monthly to submit receipts for expense reports. Saves a stamp. We're trying to figure out how to do an email gateway for it.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

No, I don't think so. I work for a large company and we rely on faxes daily. Email has replaced a lot of the functionality, but as mentioned, for things like PO's, general ordering, many companies still want to do business with us via fax.

I personally own a fax machine --- a $75 model bought 10 years ago still works perfectly. I honestly never liked fax modems although I have had them for years. Although I'm not like this in respect to most technology, I've always hated faxing through a PC. It just had too many problems, and the software was never perfect enough --- it might miss a fax call or the fax modem would have problems sync'ing up to a remote. I noticed international faxing with modems was very unreliable, but my fax machine always worked well. (there's probably a technical underlying reason for this, but who cares? just use the fax machine)

I think faxes carry a little more weight than emails. While travelling overseas on various vacations, I've always insisted that the hotels send confirmation via fax(even if booked online) because their letterhead, etc, is nice to whip out if they do the "we don't have your reservation in the computer" trick.

....And it has happened. On more than one occasion. Many people have an inherent mistrust of things digital, whether misplaced or not. Too easily forged or edited in Word or whatever. I think a fax would be more acceptable evidence in a trial than an email......

my $0.02

Keith

Reply to
Keith M

Until the day cometh, and it usually will, where one of these hits you or your client:

a. The ISP goes down. b. Their ISP blocks your ISP's domain to "protect" against spam. c. Some confidential stuff absolutely cannot cross the web. d. A barrage of clever spam hits and the filter becomes overwhelmed.

My clients have experienced a,b and c and consequently I always keep a fully functional fax machine plus a backup.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

One customer insists on faxing order numbers through, which as the customer is always right is the perfect reason to keep it. It'll also do a 'copy' in seconds without the tedious rigaramole of PC/scanner/printer and dealing with scads of buggy software. It'll also send a hand sketch instantly. And best of all, it contains within those mysterious and complex, clanking and whirring innards, a known-to-be-working, full page width, thermal print head (8 dots per mm + paper cutter!), that may yet see further service as a hard copy output for a data logger I'm thinking about ;)

Reply to
john jardine

Yes. A fax is the cheapest way to have a letter delivered with a trace (phone record and a report printed by the fax itself).

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

Scan and email works too. I did it selling my house last fall. Apparently it now has the same legality as a fax.

--
Keith
Reply to

And I invoice my clients via online services, currently

My clients can even send payment via that engine. It's a total win for me. Eliminates paper, lightning fast, and easy.