ERC error - OUTPUT and SUPPLY pins mixed on net vcc (**new user**)

Hi,

I'm a new user of Eagle, and I've only recently gotten into electronics.

I hope this is the right group for this post, if not... could someone tell me which is best?

When I run ERC, I get the following message:

EAGLE Version 4.16r2 Copyright (c) 1988-2006 CadSoft

Electrical Rule Check for E:/OtherSoftware/eagle/projects/ethernet/ ethernet_final.sch at 08/02/2008 03:17:00p

WARNING: Sheet 1/1: POWER Pin U1 VCAP connected to N$28 WARNING: Sheet 1/1: POWER Pin U1 VSS connected to GND WARNING: Sheet 1/1: POWER Pin U1 VSSRX connected to GND WARNING: Sheet 1/1: POWER Pin U1 VDDTX connected to VCC WARNING: Sheet 1/1: POWER Pin U1 VSSTX connected to GND WARNING: Sheet 1/1: POWER Pin U1 VDDPLL connected to VCC WARNING: Sheet 1/1: POWER Pin U1 VDDRX connected to VCC WARNING: Sheet 1/1: POWER Pin U1 VSSPLL connected to GND WARNING: Sheet 1/1: POWER Pin U1 VSSOSC connected to GND WARNING: Sheet 1/1: POWER Pin U1 VDDOSC connected to VCC WARNING: Sheet 1/1: POWER Pin U1 VDD connected to VCC WARNING: Sheet 1/1: POWER Pin IC1 AGND connected to GND ERROR: OUTPUT and SUPPLY Pins mixed on net VCC

Board and schematic are consistent

1 errors 12 warnings I can't figure out how to get rid of the error... I've spent a lot of time rechecking all the connections in my .sch file and position on the .brd, and I've still not been able to find the problem. I also searched around for other people with the same problem, but haven't found any good responses.

Can anyone help?

Cheers, T

Reply to
tkirton

I'm not an Eagle user, so I have no specific advice, however, it sounds like you have pins on a device that are connected to a power rail, but that are not defined as power pins. You might want to look at how all the pins on the devices are defined.

Does this really matter in Eagle? In Orcad, I might look at the ERC errors flagged, decide for myself if I really made a mistake or if everything is connected the way I intend, and then proceed with the design. In Orcad ERC errors are for information, and do not prevent completion of a design.

--
NOTE: to reply, remove all punctuation from email name field

Ned Forrester        n_f_orrester@whoi.edu         508-289-2226
Applied Ocean Physics and Engineering Dept.
Oceanographic Systems Lab                 http://adcp.whoi.edu/
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, MA 02543, USA
Reply to
Ned Forrester

Hi Ned,

This sounds like a reasonable explanation, i suppose because I created my own component and while I was making it I probably forgot to label the power pin properly.

Cheers, travis

Reply to
tkirton

Travis, My suspicions matched with Neds. There are varying levels of ERC checking amongst tools and virtually none of them are perfect. Across many tools I would expect the one error you had complaining about power pins and an output being connected to the same net. This can readily occcur when you name the output pin of a regulator as an output type pin. Then it is connected to your VCC net and the software reports that type of error. That may have been your error or it may be that one of your other pins connecting to VCC is configured as an output. Good luck.

--
Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

 wrote in message
> Hi Ned,
>
> This sounds like a reasonable explanation, i suppose because I created
> my own component and while I was making it I probably forgot to label
> the power pin properly.
>
> Cheers,
> travis
Reply to