MOC30xx output pins

With opto-isolated triac drivers, specifically the MOC30xx series, are the two output terminals pin 4 and 6 interchangeable? Both pins are designated as "main terminal" on the datasheet and, in the random-phase version, they are represented as the two ends of a diac. All sample circuits I've seen show pin 4 connected to the gate of the driven triac.

Reply to
Pimpom

It's not a DIAC, it's a bilateral silicon switch- more like 2x SCR in antiparallel. All the example circuits are just showing the orientation of the 6-pin DIP package relative to the circuit for some kind of visual simplification. You can interchange the pins 4 and 6 because the datasheet does not specify quadrants as would be the case if you couldn't. The only caveats are to make sure you exceed IFT over temperature and applied pulse width. BTW, a DIAC is a self-triggering breakover switch. The MOC's are not.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Thanks. I thought as much but wanted to have confirmation. My reason for wanting to be sure was that sometimes it's more convenient to reverse pin 4 and 6 on the PCB.

Reply to
Pimpom