Cadstar Help - how to merge two different designs into one PCB?

Hi all, I am really hoping that a Cadstar guru out there can help me with this problem.

I have two different schematics, each with their own unique PCB. I want to combine the two existing PCB layouts into a single new PCB layout.

Here's the problem: there are common component designators between both schematics. For example, there is a diode D1 in schematic/PCB #1, and a diode D1 also in schematic/PCB #2. This is the case for several hundred component designators on both boards.

I've tried to combine the two schematics together, which changes the component designators for schematic #2. As a result, when I try to stitch the two PCB layouts together, I'm unable to generate an ECO update, since the component designators no longer match.

Has anybody had this problem before? I'd appreciate *any* feedback that might help me solve this problem.

Thanks in advance, minus3db

Reply to
minus3db

Maybe do it with a Gerber editor, just paste them both into a common file?

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

But surely he can't keep duplicate references on the final board - how will the assemblers know which R1 is which?

Geo

Reply to
Geo

One would asume that it is two separate PCBs, that is just combined to make manufacturing cheaper.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus