newbie question

I'm just starting and having trouble with basic terminology.

Can anyone tell me what the term is for the connector shown here?

Thanks

Reply to
C Roman

Molex connector. Specified by pin spacing. Look at the far-right column:

?Ref=384&Site=US&Cat=31589153

Reply to
JeffM

nope, it's a thingamagig

| > Can anyone tell me what the term is for the connector shown here? | >

| > Thanks | |

Reply to
Figaro

I'm pretty sure that's a doo-hicky.... or maybe a thingy.

James. :o)

Reply to
James Lehman

Nope! I just looked it up in the "Universal Book Of All Knowledge". It's definitely a doo-hicky. Say so right here.

James. :o)

Reply to
James Lehman

I've been looking at all the different kinds of connectors at molex.com.

There are tens of thousands!

I also looked at digikey.com and mouser.com - they are more complicated to use than molex.com

I just want to know this: if I have a defective connector in my hand (a

2-pin female connector that plugs in vertically to a male connector on a pcb), what is the process for zeroing in on the part number on molex.com?

I spent an hour and gave up. They have a search screen that allows you to specify # of conductors, spacing of connectors, friction or positive lock, AWG, maximum current, etc. Every combination turned up connectors that look nothing like mine.

I can always just clip off the female connector and solder wires to the male header pins, but I'd rather not

Reply to
C Roman

If one is going to dabble in connectors, it would be useful to learn how to make your own connections. Get a good pin crimper for a certain type of connector that you will use often and that is readily available in multiple pin arrays and gauges, and then the worries about matching connectors in catalogs go away.

Reply to
Kitchen Man

You can re-strip the wires and crimp new pins on them. You need a pin extractor and a crimping tool. Alternatively you can replace the whole connector with a more common one like the pros do. There are more types of connectors than there are stars in the milky way. Good luck! Start here:

Nog

It helps if you're familiar with their range.

I'd advise starting with the contact pitch.

It's one area where the printed catalogue scores way better than anything online though. Mouser and Digikey are worse than useless too.

2 pole connector - like you mention - try the KK series.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear