interboard connectors

I have to connect two pcb's using some type of connection. Either direct wire to wire by soldering using through hole or some type of other connector. The type of connectors I'm thinking of using are found on computer mothers a lot. Either those use connectors(just the pin headers) or those that actually have some type of housing(you find them on floppy drive's, cd-drives)) but more typically on more minature circuit boards(inside cell phones, hard drives, etc...). Specs are audio, 10-15V, <

1A current(will use it to transfer some power at times), small number of pins(typically 4 but max 10). Should be cheap(they will not be used much).

Anyone know where I can find some and the names?

I've searched mouser but cannot find what I see on the mother boards.

|0

I'm thinking more of a flimsy housing than the stronger ones found on on most pc peripherals(but any will do if cheap).

Reply to
Stretto

or

<
.

I usually use Molex KK connectors for that sort of thing:

Leon

NSFW?

The power pins on motherboards are often Mini-Fit Jr (TM) from Molex

although that's probably more current carrying capacity than you'll need.

As Leon noted, lots of single-inline connectors are Molex KK or equivalent, and their C-Grid family for the double rows with the same

0.1" / 2.54mm pitch.

For smaller footprints, I like the JST PH-series 2mm connector family or

2.5mm XH.
The PH is the one often found in consumer electronics. They're relatively inexpensive.

Lots of choices out there ...

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Standard box connector ribbon cable assemblies are convenient. On the board, use 0.1" spacing post headers, shrouded or not.

You can make the ribbon cable assemblies yourself, or buy standard ones.

This sort of stuff:

John

If it's a one-off, use thru-holes and color-coded, stranded wire.

If it's for a production, then I go with the ribbon cable/headers idea that somebody else mentioned. I don't know if Molex does those; to me, Molex brings to mind big honkin' (relative to IDC) plastic power connectors.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

or

<
.

If the boards will stack, and alignment issues allow, you may also have the option to use pins on one board, and a matching receptacle on the other. If so, I can send you some part numbers.

Without doing the math, it seems to me that the audio connectors I see on computer CD drives, etc.. have pretty small gauge wires. Do you think that will handle 1A @ 15V? Or was that reference just to give an idea of the type of connector you wanted? Is crosstalk an issue? Noise pickup? How long a run? Twisted or shielded pairs required? Etc...

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

If the boards will stack, and alignment issues allow, you may also have the option to use pins on one board, and a matching receptacle on the other. If so, I can send you some part numbers.

Without doing the math, it seems to me that the audio connectors I see on computer CD drives, etc.. have pretty small gauge wires. Do you think that will handle 1A @ 15V? Or was that reference just to give an idea of the type of connector you wanted? Is crosstalk an issue? Noise pickup? How long a run? Twisted or shielded pairs required? Etc...

-mpm

--------- I've seen a few from molex. I'm not exactly sure the layout I will choice but I thought about some type of direct(no wire) board to board connectors for stacking them. I think I'm going to have to virtually model the case to see how well stacking the boards will actually work. Molex does have a large number of variations(I do like the copper flex cables) so I'm sure there is something I can use. Right now I'm just going to finish the circuit using standard header pins if I have to I'll prototype with them and decide later exactly what I will use.

The idea is basically to modularize a circuit which simply means splitting the pcb up. To move the signals around I have to obviously connect them somehow. In any case I think I have a bit more work to do so I can make a better educated decision.

Reply to
Stretto

The volts depend on the insulation, of course, but for ampacity, if wiki can be trusted, wires as small as #28 can carry 1.4A, in open air:

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise