Abate Holding Your Breath...Thompson's Design

I have run it, assuming 6 ohms and 50 mH in the source. I proved that transformers can match impedances.

It wasn't worth doing, since everybody already knows that transformers can match inpedances. I was actually trying something else to boost the current (namely adding an inductor after the rectifier) which only helped 10 or 20%, not enough to publish. Some of the waveforms were amazing. Once I had that model, it was easy to stick in a transformer, so I did. It worked the way transformers are supposed to work.

John

According to one reference, some models of wheel hub generators had problems with water entering the enclosure when the bike was moved from a warm garage to the cold outdoors and ridden in the rain. The temperature differential created a relative vacuum in the hub which sucked water in through the seals which were not designed with that in mind. Newer models apparently corrected the problem. But if water does enter the assembly it tends to corrode the rotor and stator poles which have very small clearance and cause them to bind.

Paul

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

The old SA 'dynamos' have no seals of any kind but water can easily run out, with the combined generator/gear hub there's a tendency for the generator internals to get well oiled via the bearing.

I've never seen one corrode.

Reply to
Ian Field

The type used on motorcycles has a "claw" type poles arrangement, but instead of them being fixed to a core in the middle with the field winding on - the claw fingers are brazed together with non-magnetic spacers.

The field winding is static and magnetically coupled to the claw poles coaxially. The inner claw is integral with the taper that fits on the end of the crankshaft and also extends to form the center pole.

The outer claw poles are simply a brazed on ring of poles that form the outer of the coaxial poles.

Reply to
Ian Field

That's NOT the Magdowski model. I suggest you re-read the Magdowski paper... it has some shunt losses.

I didn't know that [snicker]

Maybe Ian should build your solution and report back ?>:-}

I'm thinking of buying a recent vintage hub just for yucks and characterizing it myself. Quoting a line from "The Sting", "I already know how to get drunk" :-) ...Jim Thompson

Marcel's graphs, and others I've seen, are consistent with the simple model of a voltage source (voltage tracking frequency) in series with a resistance and an inductance. After all, that's what's actually inside the hub.

If the pole pieces have funny shapes, the waveforms can be non-sinusoidal. In as much as the designs usually attempt to deliver constant current into a load, waveform distortion is equivalent to higher frequency, which only helps.

If one desires to rectify and filter, and then switch down, the lightly-loaded capacitor voltage could be very high if the distorted waveform has a high crest factor... you could get higher DC than the RMS voltage suggests.

John

Hey, I suggested that, but didn't think it would work! I figured there would be too much reluctance in the field path, but that geometry seems to fix that.

John

Build it, Ian, Larkin says it'll work O:-) ...Jim Thompson

nope, PM rotor. fixed winding on the stator, no moving contacts. lamps don't care if it's AC.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to