Abate Holding Your Breath...Thompson's Design

What a hateful thing to do. Guess that is part of who you really are.

?-(

Reply to
josephkk

hub=20

my=20

a=20

=20

My read on that is more of a maybe, let's try it.

of=20

Nice recap on what you have and where you want to go. Some others lost sight of that.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

a=20

First, I=20

mean=20

several:

This link above seems to have just what Ian is looking for.

Reply to
josephkk

Using a controller makes a lot of sense. I'm thinking about a PFC scheme (about 25V into a big cap) and a forward converter-ish output to drive a big LED. IMHO a battery is a bad idea. Better use a big capacitor.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I have some 25 uF 2.7 VDC capacitors that could be used for this = purpose.=20 Two in series would power a 3W 6V (12 ohm) incandescent lamp for a=20 time-constant of 12.5*12 or 150 seconds, although it would be much = better to=20 use a boost converter and regulate the output so the brightness would be =

more constant. Of course, you can get even more light from a 1 watt LED, = so=20 even ONE of these UltraCaps would give at least 3-4 minutes of light = without=20 needing the generator. These capacitors are only $5 each from Newark:

lect-25f-2/dp/02P4416.

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

luck

Apparently the protests have done some good:

or-makeover

I emailed Ben Cardin because he was/is a cosponsor and supporter of = PIPA,=20 according to the following:

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

Wiki is still working. Just hit the Esc button when your page loads.

Reply to
JW

And plenty of hungry lawyers.

John

Any design starts with an architecture. If the functionality is wrong (as JTs switcher was) what's the point of having parts values?

If people want to "devalue" things, go for it. What I value is purchase orders followed by checks.

John

He insulted my wife. Of course that's part of who I am.

John

You give him too much credit. He actually thought that switcher circuit was clever.

John

It does make sense to ride the high end of the load curve, namely rectify the alternator output to a high voltage and then switch down. That's the opposite from the "nearly shorted/constant-current" place they usually work. The switcher will have to work from, roughly, 10 to

100 volts input, maybe more. I'm thinking the downhill run from the Rainbow Bridge to Lake Donner...

John

Nope. Certainly not clever... just the usual game, except I used a

555, so just functional. The question _was_ will a buck buy some more current. Answer: yes. ...Jim Thompson

Ian, i think you are starting to see some new light.

Can you get an actual sample of the waveform coming out of your dynamo? vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

My workshop is dismantled for refurb, my test gear is packed away in tea chests at the back of the garage and the bicycle with the AG hub is chained up behind the shed with a few snapped spokes.

Reply to
Ian Field

TMI!

Reply to
Ian Field

My read on that is more of a maybe, let's try it.

Nice recap on what you have and where you want to go. Some others lost sight of that.

I've lost count how many times I've corrected JT that *I AM* using LEDs - but he still persists in calling me an "antique" for using bulbs!

Reply to
Ian Field

If you saw the movie you wouldn't take that seriously. It was a pain machine.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I told you that a fixed-duty-cycle buck switcher would do that, stably, a week before you posted that silly and unreliable circuit. You know, back when you were still "puzzled."

I can't imagine why you considered something that fundamental to be a "question" , or had to simulate it to find out.

John

John, Is there some reason you have this need to be such a hateful shit-headed bastard?

I was the one who _first_ posted that it wouldn't start as a usual buck, which start (unless having a soft-start feature) at 100%... it couldn't get over that initial "hump"... remember the "cartoon" you made such a fuss over?

My puzzlement had to do with the dynamo's behavior, not how a buck switcher works. I was, after all, designing buck switchers for GenRad's portable products, while you were still a kid.

Why don't you knock it off?

And you're still clueless about why the dynamo won't work into an auto-transformer.

But you'll still come screaming back with "say something technical", rather than showing that you, yourself, have a clue... which you don't, which is why you always revert to insults rather than facts... and block diagrams supporting your cluelessness ;-)

But you'll remain a shiftless, hateful, narcissistic, shit-headed bastard forever.

I await your next shiftless, hateful, narcissistic, shit-headed bastardly insult :-) ...Jim Thompson

First,

Explain why. Say something technical.

John