Thompson's Honey-Do Project of the Day

Thompson's Honey-Do project of the Day...

I need a clever way to attach wire basket to under-rail drawer glide. ...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ty-Wraps?

--
Bob Q.
PA is y I've altered my address.

Fender washers? Or get some metal loop straps and hang the basket off the rail. Better WAF (wife acceptance factor) for the second Option.

Martin Riddle

P Clips, plastic or metal eg

or similar from your favoured supplier.

-- Regards Malcolm Remove sharp objects to get a valid e-mail address

Reply to
Malcolm Moore

Try rec.woodworking or even alt.home.repair. Unless you really want a clever circuit designer solution.

Reply to
Abby Brown

Aha! Couldn't remember "p-clip" :-) ...Jim Thompson

Sigh. You never heard of Ikea?

We have a couple of these:

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

The wire diameter is 0.074"

I can't find a p-clip that small :-( ...Jim Thompson

Robotic attachment ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Yep, We have a giant one just a few miles from here.

No space to hang, and those aren't deep enough. ...Jim Thompson

If it's truly what they call under-rail, that means the rail is beneath the basket. Mount the rails to a piece of plywood cut to fit the opening. Gives you a sliding shelf to set the basket on. Affix the basket to the shelf by whatever means you like.

If I've got it wrong, and it is really rails that are top mounted, here's some possibilities below:

Looks like the "lip" at the top of the basket is about 1/2". So route or (table saw) a 1/2" deep slot in 2 pieces of 3/4" stock, each piece the length of the "lip". The "lip" slips into the slots - the rails mount on the outside of the stock. Like this:

--- --- R| | | |R A| --- --- |A I| |\ /| |I L| || || |L --- | | --- | BASKET | | | |__________|

You may need to drill a hole down from the top of the stock through the basket lip so you can screw or dowel (finishing nail dropped, not driven, into the drilled hole). One at the front and one at the rear on each side. The above solution requires a width equal to the basket + 1/2" for the stock plus whatever the rails need.

If you have more width, you could just build a rectangle into which the basket fits nicely, mount the rails on the long legs of the rectangle and install the basket. Then slip the rails into the corresponding mechanism.

If you have no extra width, cut the stock to fit inside the basket and screw the rails to the stock from the outside. If you go that route, round over the edges of the wood so that hands inserted into the basket have no sharp corners to hit. There's no need for slots in the stock, but you do want to make sure that the "sandwich" made by the stock, basket and rail can't move once assembled.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

What's the proper name for this...

Just remembered ;-)

Tinnerman. ...Jim Thompson

Also 'Spring Nut'

Martin Riddle

JB Weld :)

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

The top wire that goes completely around the perimeter looks much more than 0.074". That is what gives the basket its strength. I envisaged two clips per side attached to the slider rail. Metal ones could be arranged as P rather than b so the sliders were slightly lower than the basket top. Maybe that wouldn't work in the northern hemisphere :-)

-- Regards Malcolm Remove sharp objects to get a valid e-mail address

Reply to
Malcolm Moore

Given the trend in his posts, pretty soon he'll be asking for help to tie his shoes.

John

ROFLMAOPIMP!

Thanks!!! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

And sure as hell we WILL have the answer:

WE WON'T LET YOU DOWN JIM! :-))

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Yeah, they look like his style.

I used to really like velcro shoes, at least good ones like Adidas, until people quit making good ones. Tying shoes is silly, and shoelaces keep cooming loose.

These are great:

They make any lace-up shoe into a slip-on and keep the tension just right.

John

Thanks, Nico! I actually had a pair of Ecco's like that one-upon-a-time. Very comfy :-)

Everyone missed important points... I need to bottom mount, nowhere to hang glides, plus the type shown don't have full support when pulled all the way out.

Have to go to the hardware store and check sizes, but one of these will do the trick...

U-nut:

Tinnerman and others:

(Larkin couldn't find his asshole with a mirror, a flashlight and assistance from a BU student ;-) ...Jim Thompson