usenet

Yes but there has been talk again and Internode dropped usenet for a short period a couple of years ago but backed down and reinstated the text-only groups due to pressure from customers.

They found out word of mouth cuts both ways I guess.

Reply to
Clocky

I was one of those customers who applied the pressure, rang up to cancel the account and when asked why they were told no Newsgroups and it was fixed very quickly, its staggering that a lot of people who work for ISP's have no idea what usenet is.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

I rang up to cancel a number of accounts for people who I recommended Internode to because they had a usenet service. They must have had many more complaints then what they had bargained for.

I don't know about now (after iiNets meddling) but last time I spoke to Internode service regarding a problem connecting to the usenet server the young bloke I spoke to knew exactly what it usenet was and what to check (had already checked the obvious stuff).

Reply to
Clocky

There had to be at least in the organisation that knew:-)

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

There may be but no one in telstra knows where the cave that the ancient one with a beard hides in

Reply to
F Murtz

LOL.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

Rod Speed.

--
:-P
Reply to

I thought we were talking about the possibility of someone actually knowing something:-)

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

Have narrowed problem down to my end,a telstra personage who had never heard of usenet till now (has been there 7 years), installed my particulars on their computer and it worked and he is going to ring back. I have since resurrected (put together) another computer and bigpond usenet won't work on it either so I have nutted out something is amiss betwixt me, modem and broadband. Something in the orrible Thompson contraption has gone amiss so it will have to be reconfigured or chucked and replaced with my spare It will not connect with port 119 (server rejects request)

Reply to
F Murtz

Sounds like the port is being blocked by your modem/router... Can you connect to another Usenet server on port 119? Does PigBond use ports other than 119 on their Useless server? If so, you could try another port.

Reply to
Jeßus

No doubt too busy fondling their Linux ISOs anyway...

Reply to
Jeßus

Now there is a funny thing, eternal-september works on port 119 but bigpong rejects it.I asked the expert that had never heard of usenet whether bigpong had nother port but he said no. When I had the bloke on the phone he got me to try to connect to port

119 from command line but it would not,it just hung. How would my modem stop bigpong from connecting through 119 but allow eternal sept?
Reply to
F Murtz

Another funny thing, how come none of my posts are getting through to aus.electronics from eternal sept but they are getting through to aus.cars from eternal-sept

Reply to
F Murtz

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 00:06:20 +1100, F Murtz blathered:

umm.... do try and get your paws on a decent newsreader...

I mean a real one, not a pretend one:-)

--
Toby
Reply to

On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 18:42:36 +1100, Jeßus blathered:

Try 80, and see what happens.

--
Toby
Reply to

Seamonkey works and is not the cause of my immediate problem. It is something to do with bigpond and my modem. eternal-september works through port 119 and my modem but bigpond terminates with port 119 and my modem.

Reply to
F Murtz

Tried port 80 still rejected. when bigpong tech tried it at his end using my particulars on his machine usenet worked (port 119) more than one different computers connected through my modem are rejected by bigpong server.

Reply to
F Murtz

Hey All,

Got something strange going on with Bigpond Usenet access.

Works fine at work, on ADSL2+, Windows 7 through Windows live mail.

At home have had occasional loss of access over the last few months, turning into no service at all over the last few weeks, Using ADSL2+, Windows XP & outlook express.

Same settings on news.bigpond.com, using port 119. Neither computers have login / password...

Did try to contact big pond via email via a tech contact that was very helpful when our exchange had a meltdown, who understood a lot about the older services like usenet etc, but there is no reply to my email, and I don't even feel like wasting my time with a call to tech. assistance.

Any ideas from anyone who frequents here would be appreciated...

Cheers,

Gary.

Toby P> On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 18:42:36 +1100, Jeßus blathered:

Tried port 80 still rejected. when bigpong tech tried it at his end using my particulars on his machine usenet worked (port 119) more than one different computers connected through my modem are rejected by bigpong server.

Reply to
Gary S

I have been having trouble for a month No access from bigpond through port 119 but can from eternal-september server (with different computers)

Today a tech took controll of my computer with logmein and fiddled, removed, and changed a few things and now it works. But I am not convinced it was all my computer as a completely different computer with no association would not work When I get time I will fire other computer up and see if it now works. It may be that they fixed something their end and kept it secret (don't trust em)

Reply to
F Murtz

Now it does not work again. The only thing I have done is changed bigpong password, mail works after entering new password news does not (news does not ask for password)

Reply to
F Murtz