Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees.

Seems hardly worth the effort for water.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Exactly, nevertheless a shunt has the advantage of bleeding off a fixed proportion of the supplied items.

Reply to
Peter Jason

Goggle! You can hardly say you are financially stressed if you are still running a clothes dryer. Use the clothesline or one/a few of those little clothes racks.

Optional

After 8pm?

Well, economies of bulk buying. Not that there are many in Australia unless it includes various whole beasts for cash from farmers/drovers.

Reply to
terryc

People have strange notions about what financial stress means anyway. You see them complaining, but they have plasma televisions in the background.

You do what it takes.

For small and medium sized business customers, Energy Australia has introduced "Load Smart" which has a capacity charge. It's a daily charge based on your maximum peak-time load for the year to date.

Given the limitations of the meters, it will presumably be the highest average power over a 30 minute period.

By way of example, if on the 1st January, you push your load up to 10kW for 30 minutes during peak time, then you'll incur a capacity charge over the year of $425, even if your load is much less for the rest of the year. It can only be a matter of time before this is introduced into the domestic tariff, and it would significantly alter the economics of running an airconditioner in heat waves (as it's probably intended to do).

But it should capture and deduct some measure of average power at other times, because if you're consuming power 24/7, you're already paying the full cost of delivering the electricity to you, and you shouldn't be asked to pay it twice.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Yep. For many, it is having to decide between the trip to Bali ad the trip to NZ.

It seems they are being dumped atm, but point made.

Gas. you might not have noticed by LPG gas outlets have gone up over the years following the sales of flash BBQs.

You are not. There is a network access fee on all distributed energy/ services forms (not postage)

Reply to
terryc

The network access fee is not power level dependent, but the cost of delivering power is. The retail tariff includes as a part of the per kWh charge an amount that reflects the cost of transmission, except that it doesn't capture the higher cost associated with peak loads.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Err, do you mean power consumption dependant? I'm rather sure that the network access fee for a local business far exceeds local domestic connection.

Smart metered customers obviously do. Others trade off for a higher average packet costs.

Reply to
terryc

Not particularly. In fact if you look at the Powersmart rates, business does better than residential on every aspect of their charging. On the General Supply All Time tariff business pay 26.4 cents per day extra (a bit under $100 per year), but have better usage charges.

Smart meters capture the higher costs of power during the peaks of the daily usage cycle, but they still don't capture the costs associated with infrequent high loads such as are created by airconditioning on hot days. Essentially, part of the infrastructure exists just to service those loads, but it is mostly not used. The price that people pay when they do use it does not cover its cost.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

:On 5/09/2010 5:43 PM, terryc wrote: :> On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 08:07:09 +1000, Don McKenzie wrote: :>

:>> Tell Telstra to stop sending you dead trees. :>>

:>>

:>> I was asking about this a couple of days ago, as I haven't looked in a :>> phone directory for many years. So why not stop phone books being :>> delivered? :>

:> Well, the power goes off due to a house fault and you need to call an :> electrician, what do you do? : :I figure you do the same as when your hard drive crashes and you have no backup. You panic! Then you ask this group how :you can get your data from a dead drive. :-) : :I have always kept a standard 50VDC operated phone plugged in. "I MEAN ALWAYS". You don't need one plugged in, just :handy, but mine is. That way, when I need to count to a 100+ for some silly reason, and don't need a phone ring :disruption, I drop it off the hook. Saves the batteries on the wireless phones also.

Ah, but when you get on the NBN you won't have that reliable plain old telephone service anymore when mains power fails - unless you buy your own UPS back-up battery... Just pray that it is not an emergency 000 call you want to make.

: :And the Sparkies fridge magnet is on the fridge where it belongs. :-) : :Cheers Don... : :=======================================

Reply to
Ross Herbert

telephone

I use the Optus cable network for both Internet and phone access. The network has battery backup, and continues to function during power outages. I see no reason the NBN wouldn't be the same.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Except that there are regulations about fixed wiring on your side of the plug and the way things are wired on your side of the plug.

Reply to
F Murtz

I'm happy to comply with the regulations - I just want to be allowed to do the work.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I thought one of the smart meter results would be that people pay higher rates on peak demand days? At least in Vic we're going to be charged by the 30 minute block, and that charge will vary. It's on the site for the Victorian smart meter rollout, that capability wont come in for a while yet until they get the automated bill data collection (wireless) working. Some years away yet.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

As a tradie or job related, or sideline when needed at home?

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

What, NBN == no existing copper service? That'll be a forced changeover only 'cos Telstra private let the network rot for years.

I got some big batteries, want my place to light up bright when the power goes off, make everyone else in the street feel mad, must be their place ;)

Haven't found a round tuit for years, we don't get that many power fails.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

But it's worse than that. I'm talking about entries for companies that have gone bust around five years ago, and their listing STILL appears today.

How much of a bulk purchase can you get on yellow pages? Buy 100 years get 20 free?

I get the feeling they're selling numbers, not ads. Much like job agencies are more concerned about how many people they have on their books because it looks good to *corporates*, but don't actually bother finding jobs for anyone.

How long before companies work out that Telstra Yellow Pages is a monumental crock of shit and the only ones left are the out-of-date entries?

--
A pedestrian hit me and went under my car.
Reply to

telephone

No power down optical? Good and bad, no more lightning issues either, but there's no reason a basic phone service couldn't be locally battery backed. I certainly keep old phone plugged in, next to the cordless, in case the power's off.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

How does that apply to wiring which is not connected to the grid?

Reply to
The Raven

The latter. I have no desire to engage in major wiring (it's too much like real work), but I object to having to pay an electrician to come to my house to replace a light switch, when I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

That doesn't appear to be the issue. On my reading of the legislation, the test is whether the wiring is beyond an electrical outlet. So if you have a generator wired up to your house, the wiring in the house will be subject to the legislation to the extent that it is not beyond an electrical outlet.

Indeed, the second reading speech makes it clear that the act intentionally captures wiring in houses that have private generators.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else