Telstra Business to close regional call centre

Telstra Business to close regional call centre Sep 15, 2010 2:27 PM

Community petitions Thodey to intervene.

Telstra has moved to close a 108-seat business call centre in the northern NSW city of Grafton, sparking the ire of union members and a petition from local MP Janelle Saffin.

The telco planned to close the centre in November, moving some 93 jobs to existing centres in Brisbane and Melbourne.

A Telstra spokesman said it aimed to centralise business call centre operations, and would offer relocation, retraining or redundancy packages to affected staff.

"We are in a two-week consultation period, listening to staff, unions and the community," he told iTnews.

"If the closure proceeds it would most likely happen in approximately 8 weeks time - again, depending on consultations."

=================================== DavidJordan Sep 15, 2010 3:05 PM Maybe Tony Windsor would like to explain how his support for Labor is helping rural communities. We are back to all talk and no action from the government in relation to regional communities.

===================================

Cheers Don...

===================================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

USB Isolator 1000VDC For Protecting Your PC OR Laptop
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/usb-iso-low-full-speed-usb-isolator.html

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

n NSW city of Grafton, sparking the ire of

existing centres in Brisbane and Melbourne.

ations, and would offer relocation, retraining

Must be a real thrill relocating from Grafton to Brisbane or Melbourne

- imagine how high your mortgage would be living there compared to staying in Grafton.

I guess you would have to though, there might not be many job opportunities in Grafton.

the community," he told iTnews.

eeks time - again, depending on consultations."

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

ping rural communities. We are back to all talk

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
kreed

why would they even have a call centre there in the first place,Graftons just a small country town. would make more sense for them to have a call centre in the mmain capital citys rather than some small country hick town.

Must be a real thrill relocating from Grafton to Brisbane or Melbourne

- imagine how high your mortgage would be living there compared to staying in Grafton.

I guess you would have to though, there might not be many job opportunities in Grafton.

Reply to
Starbuck

Never been there, have you???????

Reply to
SG1

Why not have a call centre in a small town? They have people and telephones which is all that is needed for a call centre.

Office space is significantly cheaper in regional areas than in the capitals. Less pressure from staff for increased pay because of the lower cost of living. Providing staff parking is cheaper. Security is cheaper / less necessary.

For some services there may be concerns due to lower staff availability in regional areas, but a call centre doesn't exactly require staff with rare qualifications. There is no reason at all why a regional centre cannot provide a call centre, and do so at significantly less cost to the company than putting it in a capital.

Oh, and grafton isn't exactly a "small country hick town".

--
What is the difference between a duck?
Reply to

Trouble is it will make more sense for Tel$tra to have the call centre in India eventually.

If we are spending $43Big ones on an NBN, why not keep the call call centre at Grafton, in fact, why not get the current workers to do it from home with an internet connection, and a PC?

All it would then need is a bit of tracking software to calculate hours worked etc. Calls could be recorded, in fact everything could be done just as it is now. Mums could work from home at any hour.

But then, why do we import bananas and oranges and apples and peanuts, and outsource everything, when we don't have to?

Cheers Don...

======================

-- Don McKenzie

Site Map:

E-Mail Contact Page:
Web Camera Page:
No More Damn Spam:

USB Isolator 1000VDC For Protecting Your PC OR Laptop

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:

Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Don McKenzie wrote

citys rather than some small country hick

India eventually.

Not if the customers dont like the quality of service they get that way.

Grafton, in fact, why not get the

That would encourage the closure of call centers like Grafton.

Yes, and that will produce the closure of more than just the Grafton call center.

Because we depend on our exports and we cant expect others to buy what we export if we refuse to buy any imports.

We dont. You wont find too many who tear off to India after they are injured in a car crash etc.

Because we depend on our exports and we cant expect others to buy what we export if we refuse to buy any imports.

Reply to
Rod Speed