r-trees

I am working on an implementation of a mobile camera that tags each photo
with a location name based on GPS coordinates.  Someone suggested r-trees
for the database format.

r-trees sound exactly like what I need; however every implementation I've
found centerson a *SQL engine.  My little embedded platform won't run any
form of SQL database.

Is anyone aware of a flat-file based r-tree implementation, preferrably in
C?  Something suitable for an embedded system?

Thanks,

--Yan

--
  o__
  ,>/'_          o__

Including SQLite ?
From http://www.sqlite.org :
"SQLite is a small C library that implements a self-contained,
embeddable, zero-configuration SQL database engine."

A few are mentioned in R-Tree portal:
http://isl.cs.unipi.gr/db/projects/rtreeportal/code.html

Re: r-trees

OK, I'll look into it if it turns out I can't do flat files....

I've been trying to figure out the source in here:

http://isl.cs.unipi.gr/db/projects/rtreeportal/code/Rtree.tar.gz

But it comes with absolutely no docs and few comments in the code....
You don't happen to know where I might find some?  :-)

--Yan

Re: r-trees

For what its worth, SQLite stores a complete database as a single disk
file. If you can tolerate the overhead of storing the SQL tables and
fields information + the size of the library itself, only minimal file
system support is required.

I could grep out and send you thousand of comments from other sources,
but I doubt they will be helpful. :-)
No, sorry. I looked briefly into this material a long time ago for an
application that never came to be.
May be reading the original papers on R-Trees can help to understand
these libraries.

Re: r-trees

Is there something similar but entirely in RAM?

Michel Bardiaux
R&D Director
Re: r-trees

Just create a tmpfs and put the files there.....

--Yan

--
  o__