How to stop Piracy?

Several days ago, I got one call from my under-classmate in Notre Dame. Now he worked as the sales director in one famous design software company. He asked me about the electronic design industry in China. He told me that everyone knows that China is a huge market but most company hesitates to enter China market due to piracy.

Everyone knows that piracy has a significant impact on the high-tech industry, resulting in lost jobs, decreased innovation and higher costs. As a Chinese who has been working in USA for more than 10 yrs, I understand his worry and I also believe Chinese government has realized this. But it seems a mission impossible to stop piracy in a country like China. But could anyone tell me what's the best way to solve the piracy problem?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Seeking for a customer centered PCB fabricator with high-quality and most cost-effective service? SynKore is your perfect option! Send email to snipped-for-privacy@synkore.com or visit

synkore

Simple. For every instance that a pirated item is dicovered in
China, the Chinese government will pay the injured party the full
retail price of the item in the injured party's currency.

Either that, or kill the pirates.
Reply to
John Fields

If you make the software free there is no need for piracy.

--

Alexander

_______________________________________
We are what we repeatedly do. - Aristotle,
Reply to
Alexander

If you make everything at Wal*Mart free there is no need for shoplifting.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Um, so how would a software business function. Maybe software should be resonably priced.

Regards Dave

***
Reply to
Dave

Thats not far from the truth. Over here a shop has lowered the prices of the 10 most stolen products by 25%.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Did it work?

Reply to
pbdelete

No results have been published yet. The price reduction was announced just a couple of weeks ago.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Does the customer have to collect the stolen goods for themselves?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

people would pay it money to write software.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Yes, but copyright infringement is not theft.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

That's an opinion at odds with the masses (of non-thieves, anyway).

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

--
Yes, it is.  If it weren't there'd be no need for copyright laws,
would there?

Taking something written by someone else and using it without the
author's permission is theft.
Reply to
John Fields

It's not about your physical copy of the software, it's about getting paid for your efforts. How do you provide yourself with food, clothing, and shelter if you are working for free? Or do you think all software should be written on a hobby basis by people who make their living doing something else during the day? (Like maybe at one of those jobs that's about to be outsourced!)

Just a thought...

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Reply to
Bob Masta

If you head down this path of reasoning, it seems to me it should follow that -- if piracy is OK -- it's also OK to "partially" steal anything you want from Wal*Mart by deducting any profit they would have otherwise made from selling that product.

There's nothing wrong with companies being paid to design software and/or hardware and then selling it for the cost of the copies -- which approaches zero in the case of software --, but there's also nothing wrong with a business model that says you want to make a profit on each and every copy sold, regardless of the price of copying.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

and/or

approaches

copy

Of course there's nothing wrong. It's just a perfectly legal confidence trick. Nothing to do with stealing anything.. It's just a very minor part of the Capitalist System. You vote for it and that's what you get. Just carry on as usual without thinking of complaining. There's nobody there to complain to anyway. You set of poor, juvenile, deprived, innocent suckers! =======================================

Reply to
Reg Edwards

Thus speaks Reg "The Demented One" Edwards ;-)

...Jim Thompson

         Old Latin teachers never die...they just decline

What makes you think the pirates don't go abroad and rip off product? Perhaps you friends products are already on sale in China - he just doesn't know it yet :-)

Reply to
CWatters

If it was theft, there would be no desire for copyright laws.

Take note that copyright only applies to works with creative content. Trivial stuff is not covered.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Ehhhh? ANYTHING can be copyrighted, but common usage words have been adjudicated out (for the most part).