About Electronic Cigarettes

Some studies have raised safety fears, but retailers argue e-cigarettes are a healthy alternative to the real thing.

What do you think ?

Reply to
aalwaysss

healthy alternative to the real thing.

All smokers should be SHOT!

Reply to
hamilton

are a healthy alternative to the real thing.

E-cigs use is NOT smoking, they are vapor based, vapor is not smoke.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

re a healthy alternative to the real thing.

"It has long been known that trees produce and emit isoprene, an abundant m olecule in the air known to protect leaves from oxygen damage and temperatu re fluctuations. However, in 2004, researchers, contrary to popular assumpt ions, revealed that isoprene was likely involved in the production of parti culate matter, tiny particles that can get lodged in lungs, lead to lung ca ncer and asthma, and damage other tissues, not to mention the environment."

"The study found that isoprene, once it is chemically altered via exposure to the sun, reacts with man-made nitrogen oxides to create particulate matt er. Nitrogen oxides are pollutants created by cars, trucks, aircrafts, coal plants and other large scale sources."

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

a healthy alternative to the real thing.

All people who think they have a right to tell me how to live my life should be shot, and will be when the Obama-induced economic collapse comes. Please post your address so that we may more easily accommodate your demise ;-)

My oldest son E-smokes. You can stand right beside him and smell not a thing. I think it just amounts to a nicotine dispenser. From what I hear, in spite of all the hoopla, nicotine apparently has some health _benefits_. ...Jim Thompson

On Wed, 15 May 2013 07:14:26 -0600 hamilton wrote in Message id: :

healthy alternative to the real thing.

I like the occasional cigar. How'd you like me to shove one up your wife's cooter the next time I f*ck her silly?

Reply to
Bill Palmer

I was about to post *exactly* until I read the last part... yeah, they also say drinking wine, beer, etc has health benefits, but the detriments far outweigh the benefits.

Prescription drugs are regulated because they have a low benefit to detriment ratio unless you have a medical issue that requires their use. Do you feel people should be free to buy and use all these drugs without a prescription under a doctor's care? How about the non-prescription illegal drugs?

--

Rick
Reply to

a healthy alternative to the real thing.

I'd opine that you'd get an STD... my guess would be that Hamilton's significant-other is either male or a "two-sacker" (*)

(*) Refer to a recent episode of "The Borgia's" for the definition ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Wrong. It is well-established that (men) drinking 2-3 glasses daily of wine (particularly red) is good for your heart. The tricky part is that _excess_ drinking is bad for your liver... almost as bad as taking Tylenol regularly ;-)

I don't know specifically about the health benefits of nicotine, but apparently it may prevent Alzheimer's or Parkinson's...

Naaaah! It's to keep the price up and the kick-backs flowing. My doctor recently prescribed Famotidine, an anti-acid, claiming I needed "prescription strength". Turns out it was the same strength as over-the-counter, but 3X the price :-( I stopped taking it, it has the side effect of leg cramps)

No.

I'm really a Libertarian, so I have mixed feelings about "illegal" drugs. I really don't care what you do to _your_ body, just don't expect me to pay for it. Infractions against the public because of such ingestion/snorting/smoking should be handled with DUI, or similar, laws.

If we actually punished crimes, instead of putting people away in "resorts", we'd have much less of it. I've always liked the public square approach to minor crimes... in the stocks for a day, with you subject to "tomato-ing" is quite effective (public shaming does work). For more serious stuff, twenty lashes ;-)

And I'm fond of torture for the really serious crimes >:-} ...Jim Thompson

re a healthy alternative to the real thing.

I think e-cigs will become popular enough that retailers can easily avoid m aking such claims and still be wildly successful. The markup on e-juice is something like 90%+. Everyone should open a vape shop. Very low barrier to entry.

I predict within 10 years, the cigarette as we know it today will have 50% (or maybe even less?) of its current market share. The times are a changin '.

In the US, fire safe cigarettes are supposedly made with carpet glue. Plus , you're burning paper, tobacco leaves and who knows what else. With vape- ing, it's vegetable oil, sometimes polypropylene glycol and cake or candy f lavorings. All of which are approved for human consumption, though admitte dly not vaporized first. I expect when the data comes in, the relative har m compared with traditional cigarettes will be MUCH, MUCH lower.

Reply to
mpm

are a healthy alternative to the real thing.

making such claims and still be wildly successful.  The markup on e-j uice is something like 90%+.  Everyone should open a vape shop.   Very low barrier to entry.

% (or maybe even less?) of its current market share.  The times are a changin'.

difficult to to imagine it being higher

Lots of controversies around e-cigarettes here at the moment, apparently there is two types of liquid; one with and one without nicotine. Everyone wants to buy the type with nicotine but technically that is illegal because it has not been approved as a drug, still all the shops sell it openly

strange how that is illegal while real tobacco, countless type of chewing gum with nicotine etc. are legal

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

a healthy alternative to the real thing.

making such claims and still be wildly successful.  The markup on e-juice is something like 90%+.  Everyone should open a vape shop.  Very low barrier to entry.

(or maybe even less?) of its current market share.  The times are a changin'.

It's all about taxes. Right now the Republicans are having fun rubbing the Democrat's noses into the ground by suggesting a cut in beer taxes...

...Jim Thompson

Yeah, I'm sure you have all sorts of great studies to show moderate drinking improves mortality and morbidity...

Tell that to a person I know who died because of the alcohol in a cold medicine. That is obviously an extreme case, but the point is the health benefits (small, but measureable) are by far outweighed by the detriments. No doctor will recommend a glass of wine as a tonic for health, not if he has actually read the studies.

--

Rick
Reply to

Is it the same as the Rodney Dangerfield joke?

She was so ugly that....She was known as a two bagger. That's when a girl is so ugly that you put a bag over your head in case the bag over her head breaks.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.
Reply to

_I_ don't have the studies, it's well-known. Here's one from Mayo...

What rock have you been hiding under? Red wine is definitely good for you, white wine and beer, not so much... though Mayo seems to think so... other studies say no.

Sounds like an urban legend. How much did they take? Unless your "person" drank the whole bottle at one sitting >:-}

No. I repeat, what rock have you been hiding under?

Believe whatever you like. ...Jim Thompson

Yep! Apparently that joke dates back several thousand years >:-}

Of course, there's that other gag line, "All women are beautiful in the dark" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Something like less than 5% of the settlement money from big tobacco went toward anything related health, which was the legal justification for the states' lawsuit to begin with. Its probably even less for the exorbitant excise taxes.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

tes are a healthy alternative to the real thing.

oid making such claims and still be wildly successful. The markup on e-juic e is something like 90%+. Everyone should open a vape shop. Very low barrie r to entry.

50% (or maybe even less?) of its current market share. The times are a cha ngin'.

nope not about taxes, if it was it would have been "fixed" a long time ago

it is the nationa board of heath, the equivalent of your FDA I guess, that say it is a pharmaceutical drug, so to sell it would have to go through all the tests and approvals like other drugs

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

a healthy alternative to the real thing.

Ok, how about if you get a disease that is linked to tobacco, the insurance company does not have to pay for it.

Reply to
hamilton

As long as when you get a disease sitting on your fat ass typing on usenet your insurance does not pay. Sounds fair to me. I mean you libs like fair, right.

Reply to
tm