SC mag - Down to standard.

Well, today I phoned the local newsagent to check if the latest SC mag was in. It was, and with eager anticipation I raced to pick it up.

I was hoping to be surprised at the amount of new exciting articles that it might contain (just like I had for issues of previous months).

Lo and behold, after a quick 15 minute scan it seems the content is worse than I'd ever imagined possible.

I mean Julian Edgar could have probably filled the mag with automotive articles and I would be impressed - sorry Julian, I'm sure you know what I mean. Ever the optimist I'll wait another month (and hope).

I'm thinking that in the future maybe if we all buy 2 copies that it may help SC afford some decent articles. Failing this, maybe SC could fill the mag with half-page pictures (which seems to be the norm nowdays where content is lacking).

I'm really trying not to bag SC as I really think it's the best electronics mag around, and wouldn't ever consider not buying it, but it is testing my faith.

So, I'm hoping for some positive comments from you guys to say that I'm in fact mistaken, and that SC is improving. If not, maybe some positive comments about what SC should do as I'm feeling a bit 'negative' at the moment...

Cheers (blah), Phil

Reply to
philbx1

In what way?, all the usual stuff is there. The vintage radio crap, a couple of general interest articles, a couple of projects (some fairly good, one crap one), and the usual columns. What's worse?

No chance.

SC is not improving, and it's not slipping. I haven't seen any major change either way in many years.

Unless SC change direction, or some magical new contributors appear out of nowhere, things won't improve. They will continue to "play it safe" and stick with the current formula.

What would *you* like to see?

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Hi Dave,

Well, I actually went to the trouble of writing you a list of things I would like to see in SC mag, but on posting it went somewhere else - the Google trashcan I assume. I'm really p****d off that a message could be so easily discarded by Google newsgroups, and not wanting to write it again, won't. That was an hour of my life wasted, and I don't think I'll be writing much here in the future given the 'iffiness' of posting.

Cheers (none to Google), Phil.

Reply to
philbx1

Bugger, I know what it's like, that is why I learned to highlight and CTRL-C before posting anything, not just on Google Groups but with any type of online form. It has saved my sanity on many occasions. I've found that the new Google Groups does not tend to loose anything though, it prints a nice error message and usually lets you try again if something went wrong, so I don't know what happened to yours.

Go chill out on the couch for a few hours with a cold one and take some deep breaths, and try not to hurt your computer!

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Hi again Dave,

I think you'd already warned me about this, but I ignored and 'clicked- on' regardless.

After having a quick lie down and beer/s as per your suggestion I Goo(effing)gled to try to find an answer. The answer was Ta-da! "Atheism vs Christianity"...

Yep, Google has 'smote', 'smitten' (or turned to stone) my message. 'Get beyond ye Google' I say, lest the Ctrl-C of enlightenment save me!

Anyway, enough beers for me I'm guessing .

Cheers (hic..), Phil.

Reply to
philbx1

Come on - that feature article on glass was utter rubbish - incredibly light on technical detail (we were informed that laminated glass is... laminated!) crap photos that didn't show any interesting detail and the odd reference to the fact they use computers (who would have thought!) in a lame and sad attempt to justify its relevance to SC.

It could have been a fascinating article, but it ended up sounding like lightweight fluff from a press release or corporate profile.

Reply to
Poxy

Probably culled from the Pilkington website or somesuch

Reply to
Mark Harriss

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

I didn't say the usual stuff was any good, just that it hadn't seemed to have changed much recently. I'll have to read the glass article to be able to comment, because, well, I just skipped it like I do most of the general interest articles unless they happen to take my fancy. I actually spent more time browsing the new Altronics catalog than reading this months SC :->

I've got to admit that I hardly read SC at all any more, a 5 minute skim is probably about it, as there is very little of interest in it for me any more. But I still subscribe because I'm "in the game" so the speak and contribute stuff occasionally, and I feel compelled to support the only remaining Australian hobby electronics magazine, the mags I grew up with.

I haven't needed a hobby electronics mag for a long time now, which is why I find the "industry" mags like Electronics News (excellent local mag), Circuit Cellar, Electronics Design etc much more enjoyable and worthwhile reading.

If SC was to move in a new direction I would like to see it become more of a semi-professional level industry journal with content like these other mags. Perhaps that is the wrong direction for all sorts of reasons, and I would hate to see the demise of the sole remaining hobby electronics mag in Australia, but I'm just thinking that from a professional perspective and my needs now.

As a pure hobby electronics mag, I think SC is barely there. If you take away the general interest articles and the vintage radio stuff, you are left with slim pickings. There just aren't enough projects or other technical articles to go around. When was the last time they had an article on general electronics design that wasn't part of a project I wonder?

So what can be done? Perhaps one way forward would be to drop the general interest articles (the electronics related ones can be ok) and have more leading edge projects, even if they are breadboard prototypes, or simply playing with some new ARM processor development kit or whatever. Projects don't need to be fancy looking, finished, and designed so that Jaycar and DSE can kit them up. Most people don't build the kits, they read the articles.

Review stuff, but don't just write about it, take it apart, explain how it works in detail, tourture test it until it breaks, Mythbusters style, that makes interesting reading.

Perhaps scour and solicit interesting technical articles and content from the prolific authors on the web, maybe from the likes of Hack-a- Day for example. I just found

the other day which could make some interesting reading. There is endless material out there that can be tapped.

That's enough for tonight, I'm tired...

Lets keep this ball rolling.

Dave :) CTRL-C

Reply to
David L. Jones

your reply has gone

Come on - that feature article on glass was utter rubbish - incredibly light on technical detail (we were informed that laminated glass is... laminated!) crap photos that didn't show any interesting detail and the odd reference to the fact they use computers (who would have thought!) in a lame and sad attempt to justify its relevance to SC.

It could have been a fascinating article, but it ended up sounding like lightweight fluff from a press release or corporate profile.

Reply to
Frank

Google Newsgroups ? They don't 'discard' anything. This is USENET - try a real news server. If you posted something it will still be there.

I'd like to see real substantyial projects like ETI used to do. Not just 'fluff' .

geoff

Reply to
Geoff

"real" news servers can be notoriously unreliable too. Posts can just magically vanish into the ether.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Yes, but news servers are peered.

geoff

Reply to
Geoff

"Geoff" wrote

I'd like to see real substantyial projects like ETI used to do. Not just 'fluff' .

geoff

****** Substantial??? ETI???? Surely you jest!!

Brian G.

Reply to
Brian g

ETI 20 years ago. I think it changed in nature at some stage.

geoff

Reply to
Geoff

No I have a copy of ETI which appears to be substantial. Some of the circuits were very advanced for their time.

Reply to
Jonno

I havent newnewed my SC subscription for 2 yrs but occasionally glance at newsagent incase Im missing anything, SC needs more more circuit and designs instead of packing it wih Jaycar/altronic adds and fluff. I really hate it when they plastic shrink wrap it with a catalog (like this month!) so you cant even see whats inside, why would anyone buy it at nearly $10 when you cant even see whats in it! I bet they have the lowest sales when they seal the mag., I prefer silicon chip to drop the quality of the glossy printing and drop the price below $5.

Reply to
lentildude

I've solved that problem, I read it in the local library. Only takes about

10 minutes :-(. If they ever start printing a decent magazine again, I'll start buying it again, not before. But a lower price would definitely help.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Common fellers, are we to remove SC? Then all were left with would be the Yankee mags, which maybe they should take some pages from for reprinting....

Reply to
Jonno

Hi Dave (attempt #2),

Excellent words, and pretty much what I was trying to say also - had Gurgle not failed me. It's taken me a day to calm down, but thanks to your advice I'm a much calmer person - this damn lotus position hurts though .

To cut to the chase, I'd also hope to see some articles aimed at the newbie for circuit design. Simple things like 555 timers, interfacing MCUs to inputs/outputs, voltage dividers, zener diode voltage protection, optocouplers, relays, PCB power supplies etc. Best methods. Why use a BC337 instead of a BC557 (or PN100), why a IN4004 instead of an IN4001, EMI filtering (which inductors?), comms (ie. chip/bus standards), basic motor control etc.

Your idea on introducing leading edge articles is also good. I for one hadn't even thought about using ARM processors until recently. There are so many other new innovations and ideas that people who also maybe don't use computers miss. For example, I didn't know until recently that Maxim had RS232 chips with onboard voltage pumps, magnetic quadrature encoder chips

, creating Luxeon LED drivers with just few components
etc. etc.

Yep, and pulling things apart to see what make 'em tick. That would be good to see also. An example from sparkfun...

Also, getting ideas from non-tech people about what they would like (without the expense). I was at a Jaycar shop recently and a guy wanted to know what was required to create a telescope demister, another wanted to have flashing lights on his jukebox. Probably simple things for most of us, and maybe I could refer them to SC articles (if they existed). A guy at work wanted to know how to turn off a pump when the water ran out and I was thinking of back-EMF from the motor, but didn't have an idea where he could find this info. My great-auntie living up a flight of stairs could maybe have a "I've fallen and can't get up" alarm. Simple projects like this would be good to see I think.

As for the latest SC mag... Glass, well It's something people use for windows and pouring beer into. Old radios, something people used to use (excellent work though Rodney). Advertising...Farting salt shakers (I may be wrong there), but I'd prefer to see more relevant things.

I really liked some of older articles where (for instance) Ed Schoell explained his AVR board and went to great lengths to explain details.

Also, a big peeve of mine lately is seeing some projects based on MCUs where the only download available is a .hex file for programming, alternatively the chip must be bought pre-programmed in a kit. I mean what great secret/innovation are you trying to protect? You've shown the circuit, the components, but the source code isn't available. Sheesh, that's something to keep secret! Maybe a foreign country could exploit it!

Yep, I've Ctrl-C'd Dave, and maybe this one will survive the Gurgle treatment.

Cheers, Phil.

Reply to
philbx1

In fact the hex file is usually not available either, so they have a captive source of revenue selling chips, often FAR greater than what they are paid for the article. Now whether that is right or wrong is another debate, but something you obviously need to take into account at the time.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T