pimped out

This has become the pattern around here:

That place is just around the corner from us.

Some "developers" buy an old property (this one was a ratty tatoo parlor and bikers-clothing store) and pimp it out. Sandblasted old wood, modern trendy staircases, glass cube conference rooms, fancy coffee bars, mandatory custom fake graffiti. Then they offer it for lease at 5x what it was before. In this case, they leased it to a VC-funded cloud apps thing that is now gone. It's been for lease for months now, asking $50+ per sq foot per year, about half a megabuck per year.

It has a SLIDE! I wonder how much that increased the asking price.

Only kids with a pile of VC money go for space like this.

Like Luxe:

 Click to see the full signature

I will never understand big city life. Out here we can rent nice biz digs for cheap and can easily park a crew cab long bed truck or even a monster RV right up front for free. One client has his business building right along a mountain bike trail. The business park 15 miles east along the same trail has a brewpub. Plus two more a few miles farther.

BTW, since you are using it, while looking to make a discrete mux I just learned that the good old NE3509 is going lalaland :-(

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Looks like Luxe got $50M from Hertz so moved to the South Park neighborhood, where rents are over $100 per sq foot per year. Do the math on that!

They also have got to pay their people mountains of money for them to be able to live in the city. I'm sure glad they have a plan for a "path to profitability."

Almost all the old NEC/CEL RF discretes have disappeared. CEL announced a CE3509 replacement, but cancelled it for lack of interest.

I'll need to find a replacement, or redesign a lot of stuff.

A lot of Skyworks schottkies are disappearing, too.

 Click to see the full signature

At the end of the path it is like this :-)

In the old days companies celebrated when a major sales contract came in. Nowadays they celebrate when they landed the x-th round of financing. Weird.

Looks like analog folks may be in even bigger demand in a few years. But this time the guys that are more like McGyver, finding parts that can be pressed into service "off-label". The days of the almost infinite smorgasbord of discretes are numbered.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

What's the male/female ratio like? How many of them have all of their teeth?

Even in just about all major US cities, the male/female ratio of _unmarried_ women in the 20-45 demographic is pretty abysmal. On average it's around 60-70 "unmatched" men for every 1000 women in that demographic.

Some cities are significantly worse than that - the Bay is one of them for reasons that should be apparent. New York, Providence, and Boston are fantastic by comparison with the "unmatched" number hovering around 30.

Perhaps big city life would make a little more sense if one were 25 and bachelor just out of college, just sayin'.

Reply to
bitrex

The best thing the Trump administration could do to make America great again is figure out a way to make it less of a gigantic sausage party for all those single guys under 40, frankly.

Reply to
bitrex

Avago keeps things in production pretty well. Take a look at ATF35143 as a replacent for that NEC part.

 Click to see the full signature

Roughly 50/50.

Not all of them are young so I assume they had their share of extractions, crowns or partials. But not because of crashes. Though I did turf it a few times. Two crashes were clearly case of get-home-itis.

20mph .. 21 .. 22 ... *WHACK* ... a manzanita tree I could have sworn wasn't there the week before jumped into my path, grabbed a loop of my backpack and yanked me out of the saddle. The other time a chunk of manzanita was invisibly buried in sand, did a 180 into the front wheel spokes, half a turn, fork ... bike stopped immediately, I didn't.

The best is our local Skyworks rep who said "If I didn't crash hard at least once the ride was boring".

Why do you have to be unmarried for mountain biking? I am married yet I ride (my wife doesn't).

Nice thing is, the software engineer I sometimes network with is also located on that mountain bike trail. I think the total length of it is about 30 miles. But riders need to be able to handle a mountain bike well.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I think the social attractions are largely what pack the kids into the crowded tech centers. The big-funded companies pay them lots of money to party; sounds like a fun life for young people.

There is some hardware design going on here - iot, drones, cubesats, Dolby, self-driving cars, whatever, but most of the jobs are apps/software/cloudy sorts of things. It's about "entrepeneurship", which is making the pitch, raising money, spending money, repeat.

Technology is driving selective social diffusion, which I think accounts for some of the political separations in the country. The "how are you gonna keep them home on the farm" thing.

 Click to see the full signature

One client 15 miles away? The rest you have to fly to for face-to-face meetings.

That works once you've been in business long enough to have a national reputation - international would be better.

Lesser mortals have to rely on social networking for their gigs - and big cities have bigger social networks.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Business basics: sell what people want.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Yes, excellent low capacitance. Right now I have to make a programmable "potmeter" with plain digital bit-by-bit inputs. Only 100MHz BW so it's easy. This looks enticing:

5ohms Rdson, only 2.6pF drain to source and 1.1pF drain to gate. I don't know how pull that off. Maybe a secret process trick. Like with the Pozole soup recipe from our favorite Mexican place. Big family secret but my wife figured out out to cook up a good Pozole.

The similar Fairchild (now ON Semi) FDG6301 and the native ON Semi MCH6602 are 6pF output, too much for my circuit.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I will never understand big city life. Out here we can rent nice biz

Face-to-face is long gone. Most of my clients I never saw face to face. This was even the case in the 90's where one president finally said "We are going to fly over, I want to see you". There was no need, just a purely social visit.

Sure. That's where the Internet helps. Always did.

Social networking happens on the Internet ... like right here. Then one can informally meet via Zoom, Go-To-Meeting or similar services. A reputable consultant will offer an initialy 1/2h or so meet for free. If after half an hour the client still doesn't know whether the person is any good maybe they should switch to farming or ranching :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Can anybody download any of these data sheets? I can't.

 Click to see the full signature

Den fredag den 9. december 2016 kl. 22.47.34 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

the one i tried worked just fine

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Business basics deluxe: Make people want what they initially didn't, and then sell it to them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Not via that site but the ATF parts are from Avago and you can get the datasheets via Digikey.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Nope. It just pops up a stupid Javascript overlay saying "Thank you for downloading", but nothing else happens.

Reply to
Dimitrij Klingbeil

That's a drain on time constant of about 3 picoseconds. Not bad.

The NE3509 was about 8 ohms and 0.7 pF at zero gate voltage. It would enhance to maybe 4 ohms.

BEREX makes similar phemts to the NEC part.

 Click to see the full signature

I get a popup THANK YOU FOR DOWNLOADING but no file.

I can get the data sheets from Avago.com, but not from Broadcom.

Avago is Broadcom now.

 Click to see the full signature