How 100 Mbps broadband will rock your world

Should that not be 50c for each MB over??????

Reply to
SG1

**Cable is not quite the answer. Cable is a problem inasmuch as when more people connect to the cable, to total speeds fall. Since cable is no longer the most popular broadband connection, those who are left get pretty decent speeds. I know this from bitter experience. I signed with Optus many years ago. Speeds were good, but not great. Optus changed their pricing policy and subscribers dropped their Optus plans. I noted a steady improvement in speeds until my contract ran out and I left too.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 22:31:27 +1000, atec77 wrote:

:On 20/07/2010 6:10 PM, Ross Herbert wrote: :> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:03:38 +1000, atec77 wrote: :>

:> :On 20/07/2010 12:58 PM, Ross Herbert wrote: :> :> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:54:22 +0800, "kelly" wrote: :> :>

:> :> : :> :> :"Ross Herbert" wrote in message :> :> :news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... :> :> :> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:01:58 +1000, Adrian Jansen :> :> :> wrote: :> :> :>

:> :> :> : :> :> :> :Don McKenzie wrote: :> :> :> :>

:> :> :> :> Makes you want the NBN. :> :> :> :>

:> :> :> :> Residents at Point Cook near Melbourne have stopped queuing large :> :> :> :> downloads and started bringing on-demand movies down the pipe in :> under :> :> :> :> 15 minutes after swapping "abysmal" ADSL1 connections for superfast :> :> :> :> broadband. :> :> :> :>

:> :> :> :> Three of the 1,500 residents in the coverage area of Telstra's :> :> :> :> fibre-to-the-home (FttH) trial network have spoken to iTnews about :> :> :> their :> :> :> :> experiences. :> :> :> :> -------------------------------- :> :> :> :>

:> :> :> :> Cheers Don... :> :> :> :>

:> :> :> :>

:> :> :> :>

:> :> :> :While I like the idea of fast comms, I do wonder whether its worth it to :> :> :> :deliver stuff like movies and other packaged consumer items. How much :> :> :> :does all the infrastructure cost, compared to the cost of posting a DVD :> :> :> :through snail-mail ? :> :> :>

:> :> :>

:> :> :> Yes, I agree. It doesn't make any sense to spend over $30B just so :> :> :> homeowners :> :> :> can spend their leisure hours downloading and watching movies in almost :> :> :> real :> :> :> time. It is not as if people are not time-poor now when they should be :> :> :> spending :> :> :> more time interacting with their kids and family instead of stuck in :> front :> :> :> of a :> :> :> computer or networked TV set watching stupid movies. If that is the main :> :> :> aim of :> :> :> the NBN then it is a sad waste of resources which could be better :> :> :> targetted to :> :> :> business, medical, education sectors who would benefit from such :> bandwidth :> :> :> and :> :> :> speed. 99% of the population certainly don't need it. :> :> : :> :> : :> :> :Yep, we can pretty much do all that now on ADSL2+. Seems like a waste to me :> :> :as well, I keep thinking I must be missing something. :> :> : :> :>

:> :>

:> :> Oh, and it gets even better when you consider that homeowners may not be :> allowed :> :> to opt out of having their current copper based communication facilities :> :> upgraded to fibre when it is being rolled out in the neighborhood. I :> encourage :> :> you to read the Telstra documentation regarding their Velocity (FTTH) :> offering :> :> which will form the basis on which the NBN is to be rolled out :> :>

:> :>

:> :> Imagine the situation where an elderly non-computer savvy person who is not :> :> interested in having the NBN connected. They may only require a fixed line :> :> service and no internet. So if the copper network and dedicated Telstra PSTN :> :> exchanges are going to be made redundant with the advent of FTTH then they :> will :> :> be up for added expense and ongoing maintenance for their UPS (read the :> battery :> :> pdf). It will be the responsibility of the homeowner to monitor the condition :> of :> :> the UPS back-up battery supplying the ONT during mains power outages. AFAIK, :> :> small UPS of the type installed for the ONT don't have a battery test and :> :> monitor facility so how does a non tech-savvy pensioner know when to change :> the :> :> battery to ensure a reliable telephone service during power outages? They :> will :> :> probably only find out at some distant time in the future when the mains :> power :> :> is off for several hours and they try to use the phone and get nothing :> because :> :> the battery is dead. They will be responsible for ensuring the battery in the :> :> UPS is changed regularly by a licensed contactor at great expense. A :> Panasonic :> :> 12V, 7Ah battery will set them back around $40 plus the contractor fee :> (approx :> :> $60 - $70 min) to change it over for them. This will be a far cry from the :> :> present community service access provisions of the copper based PSTN network :> we :> :> know today. :> :>

:> :> That's progress??? :> :A most unlikely model ou are proposing , the logical conclusion is dsl :> :/100mbs from neighbourhood fibre connection distributors which makes the :> :most economic sense considering they can be dropped into existing :> :exchanges for a fraction of the fibre to the house proposal , imagine a :> :western town with a few hundred houses and fibre to the nearest large :> :town 30k off.Running fibre to the local exchange is drawn via existing :> :infrastructure and a router is dropped into the frame for bugger all :> :relative cost , if the copper wont handle the distribution then a cheap :> :wireless link which is stable and piss easy to install. :>

:>

:> I don't know where you live mate but that is not the scenario in Australia with :> the proposed NBN.

: t's the most economic way to buikd it and technically superior in many :respects :

Economic to build and technically superior doesn't mean it is the most feasible or most easy to use and maintain for the end user.

: silly idea at best which is why it will fail

Isn't this staement contradictory to your argument? : : :This will be FTTH only in capital cities and wireless for :> rural areas off the beaten track. The reason we won't get a NBN based on fibre :> with copper for the final 300 metres (so-called FTTN) is because Telstra owns :> and maintains the existing copper infrastructure and all the other ISP's have to :> rely upon Telstra for providing and maintaining their networks while at the same :> time competing with them.

: yup which is flawed badly

Of course. The network cabling infrastructure should have been separated from Telstra when it was privatised so that this impasse was eliminated. But that is now history...

: : With the advent of the NBN, Telstra - who owned and :> maintained the copper - will have to sell their underground infrastructure to :> NBNCo so they can use it to pull their fibre through. This means that Telstra :> will give up their copper network completely and no longer support it.

: but the new owners are obliged to do so hence your theory is heavily :flawed , remember contracts can be altered anytime

You are completely wrong. You should read the policy statements from the government's broadband website

quote The NBN fibre network will be progressively rolled out in different areas and there will be a transition period during which Telstra will still be expected to operate and maintain its existing copper network within fibre coverage areas.

Telstra will have a regulated obligation to continue to operate and maintain its existing copper lines while the fibre network is rolled out, until the copper exchange associated with that fibre area is decommissioned. unquote

Note that the existing Telstra exchanges will be decommissioned after the completion of the fibre rollout, ie. the copper network disappears completely.

and;

quote NBN Co will progressively provide the infrastructure that will enable delivery of high speed broadband services to all Australians. unquote

Note the ALL Australians...

: Unless :> you have fibre to the home you won't get anything - unless you go for wireless.

: bullshite

See the previous quote.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

How silly of me, I forgot to charge for the Upload

Reply to
son of a bitch

More to the point, the Guvmint will have control of a huge slice of the country's internet connection. This makes eavesdropping, censorship and other policy decisions easy to implement. No need to talk to the ISP's any more.

Reply to
Swanny

else.

Just as long as they get rid of Senator Fielding first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE is a FAR bigger proponent of censorship.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T