AS Rock K8NF4G-SATA2

This motherboard has had Alzheimer's since I had it. I set the video to onboard and enable the harddrive (2) S.M.A.R.T. It remembers maybe for one day but if the computer is off for a week it forgets and the video reverts back to PCI and the S.M.A.R.T disabled. The battery is good with a strong 3 volts. I tried clearing the cmos and reconfiguring but it still forgets. So what's the advice, stay away from AS ROCK?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Some of the ASR mother boards were shipped with the battery disconnected !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

The battery is either disconnected, or there's a broken trace. If you're good you can solder a jumper wire directly from the battery's + lead right to where it needs to go. ;)

If that doesn't clear it up, check to see if any other settings get cleared, or if it's ONLY those two options. It could be a BIOS bug? Updating the BIOS usually isn't a bad idea.

-JD

Reply to
jdiaz5513

With the jumper? or some other way?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Van Chocstraw Inscribed thus:

Usually with the jumper in the wrong setting. But do check the soldering around the jumper pins. I've had a few where moving the jumper to the correct pair resulted in an intermittent battery connection. (No voltage reading in the BIOS) Resoldering the pins cured that.

--
Best Reagrds:
                        Baron.

jdiaz5513 Inscribed thus:

I wouldn't do a BIOS update without making sure that the battery feed is sound !

--
Best Reagrds:
                        Baron.

Look for a diode next to the battery & test it.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Holy shit! That would certainly explain his problem. Presumably, it needs a jumper installed?