Grid connect question

** Hi all,

when a householder decides to "go solar" and get PVs plastered all over their roof - an electrician installs a converter box so power can be fed back into the grid on sunny days.

My question is does the relevant energy supplier have to be informed of this ?

Do they keep a record of all home solar installations ?

If for no other reason, so they will not be alarmed by the sudden drop in consumption as shown on the customer's meter.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hi Phil

I am in the process of getting a solar installation and had to get Western Power (I am in WA) approval, but not sure if this is only because I hope to get paid for what the panels push back into the grid.

Dave Goldfinch

Reply to
Dave Goldfinch
** Hi all,

when a householder decides to "go solar" and get PVs plastered all over their roof - an electrician installs a converter box so power can be fed back into the grid on sunny days.

My question is does the relevant energy supplier have to be informed of this ?

***yes because they have to connect to the grid with a different meter that reads in and out power

Do they keep a record of all home solar installations ?

*** I guess so as they pay us 50 cents a kwh

If for no other reason, so they will not be alarmed by the sudden drop in consumption as shown on the customer's meter.

..... Phil

Reply to
Gordon

'Alarmed'... alarmed they may be ripping them off? Fuck 'em, it's none of their business whatsoever.

Reply to
Jeßus

Doesn't it usually go through another meter, back into the grid, so as to calculate the energy being provided by the household? Usually the authority provides these meters.

Reply to
swanny

Yes. Also needs a safety inspection.

Yes.

In previous months, depending on state(?) you could earn payment/credits for any extra you generate. YMMV.

Reply to
terryc

"swanny"

** OK - that is the crucial bit of info I was missing.

So the electricity meter reader has to take TWO readings.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I am under the impression that one had to have a "smart" meter installed (at a cost of course) that could be read remotely to compile the rebate or charges. At least here in West Oz

Cheers ........ Rheilly P

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

"Rheilly Phoull"

** ROTFL !!!

West Oz = another country, does it ??

Feels to me like WA is as foreign as NZ is to Eastern Australia.

Then of course there is Tasmania ....

And the lawless, speed limitless, hard drinking, boong bashing NT.

While the weightless ACT floats 100 km above the entire nation on hot air.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The ones that I have seen used in QLD have 3 readings, one for power metering, one for off peak hot water metering, and one for the power fed back into the grid

They have an LCD display and 2 buttons to cycle through the menu to read this information as well as the current voltage, frequency, amps being drawn by the premises etc.

At my place, they have still left the old meter, and it just turns backwards for excess solar fed into the grid. They might not install one, as the electrician said that the meter panel for the units has asbestos.

I can put up a pic of the smart meter if anyone is interested. (and can show me how to host the pic)

Reply to
kreed

State based regulations.

Reply to
terryc

Suits me Phil, Wouldn't swap for your lot :-)

Rheilly P

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 15:42:00 -0700 (PDT), kreed put finger to keyboard and composed:

Same here in NSW. It's called "gross" metering. We are paid 66c for each kWh generated, irrespective of how much we use.

Ours is electromechanical.

Your location appears to be using "net" metering.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

You only get paid for the unused excess you feed back in, so if you are using all the solar power that is being generated, you get zero (and pay zero)

Reply to
kreed

"kreed"

** Nope - the payment is for any and all power fed back.

The total amount is deducted from the bill.

** Nearly all do - and a bunch of grid power on top.
** Nonsense.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thats how it is in SE QLD. I will tell you for sure when I get the first bill.

If you in NSW are getting paid 60+c for ALL solar being generated, regardless of your usage, you must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Reply to
kreed

Thats how it is in SE QLD. I will tell you for sure when I get the first bill.

If you in NSW are getting paid 60+c for ALL solar being generated, regardless of your usage, you must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Not really, the ATO regards it as assessable income.

--
Regards,

Chas.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chas

For all my adult life, I don't think that I have ever earned income that wasn't assessable, so that aspect wouldnt bother me any more than it does with any other income from wage, repair work, rental income etc.

I hope Phil is right about QLD paying the feed in tariff for all the solar generated, if he is, I will cover the roof with solar panels ASAP. That would probably make the solar system a tax deduction (probably depreciated over 20 years though).

Reply to
kreed

Then the solar panels become a cost of earning that income and are able to be written off or depreciated against it?

Reply to
swanny

How do the solar panel grid-tie inverters behave when the section you are feeding is isolated from the grid (say during a fault)? Do they feed the fault current? Do they isolate (for safety reasons) until the grid is reconnected and the inverter re-synchronised?

Reply to
swanny