QUESTION: How to connect a power supply to my home power grid?

Hi all

I wanted to ask a question about something that has lightly perplexed me for a while.

Sometimes we read about some person building e.g. a wind turbine (or something else) and connecting the electricity derived from this to their home power grid.

My question is about how this sort of thing is accomplished.

I mean, I do not expect it to be as simple as plugging a power supply to a wall outlet and then the power from it automatically becomes available to all outlets in the house.

Or is this basically how it is done - in other words can a standard wall outlet function both as 'input' and 'output'?

And a second question derived from this, is it possible to also be plugged into the communal power grid at the same time or will there be some sort of a interference? If there is interference, how can that be reduced?

No need to give me a fully detailed answers to above, I am just looking for a generic information to satisfy my own curiousity.

If you know of any books or websites that deal with this I would be interested of hearing about them.

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
S Claus

Yes it can. That's basically how all grid-tie inverters work. They are basically just connected across your house mains supply (usually out in your power box for various reasons). You can now get smaller ones like this that plug directly into any outlet:

Often called plug-in or micro inverters.

Grid-tie inverters are designed to supplement your existing community mains connection and are simply connected in parallel, they are designed to sync with the existing mains connection. So technically, when you are not using the power, someone else nearby gets the benefit instead. In many countries and states you can get a "feed-in" credit for the power you put into the grid in this way.

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

or

:

ns

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

rnatezone.com/eevblog/- Hide quoted text -

cool, thank you very much for your reply Dave.

cheers

Reply to
S Claus

"David L. Jerkoff"

** What a DODGY product !!!!

Typical of wankers like DL Jerkoff to be promoting it.

It has no UL safety certification !!!!

Break even on cost goes out to 50 years or more !!!

Bet the POS breaks down in the first year.

Total rip off for the most gullible greenies on earth.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

:S Claus wrote: :> Hi all :>

:> I wanted to ask a question about something that has lightly perplexed :> me for a while. :>

:> Sometimes we read about some person building e.g. a wind turbine (or :> something else) and connecting the electricity derived from this to :> their home power grid. :>

:> My question is about how this sort of thing is accomplished. :>

:> I mean, I do not expect it to be as simple as plugging a power supply :> to a wall outlet and then the power from it automatically becomes :> available to all outlets in the house. :>

:> Or is this basically how it is done - in other words can a standard :> wall outlet function both as 'input' and 'output'? : :Yes it can. :That's basically how all grid-tie inverters work. They are basically just :connected across your house mains supply (usually out in your power box for :various reasons). :You can now get smaller ones like this that plug directly into any outlet: :

:Often called plug-in or micro inverters. : : > And a second question derived from this, is it possible to also be :> plugged into the communal power grid at the same time or will there be :> some sort of a interference? If there is interference, how can that be :> reduced? : :Grid-tie inverters are designed to supplement your existing community mains :connection and are simply connected in parallel, they are designed to sync :with the existing mains connection. So technically, when you are not using :the power, someone else nearby gets the benefit instead. In many countries :and states you can get a "feed-in" credit for the power you put into the :grid in this way. : :Dave.

There is far more to installing and using a grid tie inverter than just plugging one in to a GPO. Grid tie inverters must, by law, be connected to the phase wire via an isolation switch and the meter box must have appropriate signage inside warning that a grid tie system is in operation. If anyone (linesman or electrician) was working on the phase (eg. the premises lead-in cable) thinking that it was already isolated he might get a shock due to the grid tie inverter pumping out 240V via an ordinary GPO.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Well, it might be dodgy, have no UL certification, have a 50 year payback, and have questionable quality, but you better hurry and order, because,

"Due to the high demand for this product, orders may take 2 to 4 weeks to arrive" Mike :-)

Reply to
amdx

When the bodger makes two a month in his garage, sometimes product lead times do take a month or two.

Reply to
PeterD