DOE Releases Solar Futures Study Providing the Blueprint for a Zero-Carbon Grid

“The study illuminates the fact that solar, our cheapest and fastest-growing source of clean energy, could produce enough electricity to power all of the homes in the U.S. by 2035 and employ as many as 1.5 million people in the process,” said Secretary of Energy Jennifer M. Granholm

Still cheaper than the $1.5T annual expense of extreme weather damage- which unfortunately is not going away. The ONLY way to reduce that particular expense is to harden the infrastructure to extreme weather, which is here to stay.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorectly formatted USENET posting on Thu, 9 Sep 2021 03:59:50 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <shc0rm$kgl$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorectly formatted USENET posting on Fri, 10 Sep 2021 01:40:20 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <shed24$99b$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

How much carbon-based resources does it take to make these "solar" devices?

Reply to
Robert Baer

More than it would after you'd made the first batch. One of the discussion going on in Australia is about the use of coking coal to make steel out of iron ore.

The short term solution is to replace the coking coal with hydrogen,and the long term solution seems to be to find a mineral mix which will dissolve iron ore when it gets hot enough, and let you extract the metallic iron by electrolysis, in the same way as we currently do with aluminium.

Anthony William Sloman

They didn't reveal, however, how they are going to make the Sun shine at night or when it's cloudy for months at a time.

Reply to
Flyguy

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorectly formatted USENET posting on Sun, 12 Sep 2021 00:20:51 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <shjh52$f19$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorectly formatted USENET posting on Sun, 12 Sep 2021 00:21:01 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <shjh5c$f19$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

Where is the extended discussion about the challenges of storage? Did I somehow miss that?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Flyguy hasn't heard of national grids, grid scale batteries or pumped hydroelectric storage, or wind turbines.

Thick cloud does reduce the amount of electricity you can get from solar cells during the day. It's rarely thick enough to make much difference, and it's never that cloudy for months at a time. There is a preference for putting solar farms in places far enough away from the oceans that they rarely get cloudy, but a good deal of Australia's solar generation capacity is sitting on house-hold roofs.

The utility companies are scrambling to put in the grid scale batteries to help them cope. The Federal Government has started investing billions of dollars to modify the Snowy Hydroelectric scheme to provide a lot of pumped storage. Individual rooftop installations are starting to add batteries - like Tesla Power Walls - so they can store the excess power they produce during the day and use it overnight, rather than selling it to their electricity supplier who won't pay much for it, if they can accept it at all.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

None. They use solar energy.

Reply to
Rick C

LOL! Hey SL0WMAN, sometimes are think you are just making this shit up to get a rise out of me!! First, grid scale batteries ARE NOT going to store enough energy to last a day, let alone MONTHS. Second, you state (I am quoting so you can't claim that you didn't say it):

"Thick cloud does reduce the amount of electricity you can get from solar cells during the day. It's rarely thick enough to make much difference, and it's never that cloudy for months at a time."

You don't have a solar power system on whatever hovel you crawl into, do you? Well, I DO, and have a monitoring system that tells me its output on a second by second basis. I can see its power drop dramatically whenever a cloud passes in front of the Sun. And, YES, thick cloud cover can persist here for weeks and months during the winter. And that doesn't even address snowfall which can totally block its output for weeks at a time. And that doesn't even address the diminished output during the winter months when the hours of sunlight are cut in half and the Sun is low to the horizon. And I have the data to prove it.

Reply to
Flyguy

I never said they would, That's where the national grid comes in.

The hovel is on the eight floor of a twelve storey apartment block. It's high enough to have a great view of Sydney Harbour - not as great as when it was first built, because a forty storey apartment block down the hill from us, built a few years later, blocks our view of Sydney Habour Bridge and some of the Opera House.

It was built back in 1986, when solar panels were less popular (and a lot more expensive), so we don't have solar power. The utility company that sells us our power does, but it has also got a couple of elderly coal-fired generators that will be phased out soon - the power they produce is more expensive than that from modern wind turbines and solar farms. There are some fast-start gas turbine generators around to cover the occasional gap but that's expensive too, so they are putting in grid batteries. The pumped storage from the Snowy 2 hydroelectric scheme going to take a few year off to come on stream.

So you were stupid to waste your money on installing a solar power system. You'd have a fairly odd meteorological situation if you could have thick cloud for months - a steady wind off the ocean all the time being pushed up by coastal hills, but I suppose it could happen.

It's not all that difficult to sweep snow off solar panels. They do need to be cleaned from time to time.

The diminished output is what what you'd have to design for. Above the Arctic circle you'd have to design for no sunlight in the depths of winter, and a wind turbine would be much more attractive.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Fred Bloggs