Dick Smith is no more

"AFTER a period of less than inspiring sales figures, retail chain Dick Smith has lost face - Dick Smith's face, that is."

I know that Dick hasn't been involved with these stores for 20 years or so but it's still a bit sad. I can remember shopping at his first store at Gore Hill in the days he used to serve behind the counter. In the days when they still sold electronic components.

Reply to
Geoff Steer

"Geoff Steer"

** Dick Smith stores still sell electronic components - d*****ad.

If the news story is to be believed - the new Woolworth's bred marketing manager, Brent Allan, is less than a half wit.

Quote: "I was the man who removed the face," Allan says.

"The head was very old and daggy.

I didn't have any reason to keep it.

And Electronics meant jugs, kettles and stuff. "

Brent must be the same congenital f****it who came up with:

" Talk to the Techxperts "

Infuriates the hell out of the staff every time they see it.

Peeeeeukkkkkeeeeeee.............

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

A far cry from what the Joe Average enthusiast would call electronic components. All but the powerhouse stores had their shelves cleared of components to make way for Jugs. And not the good kind of jugs either.

And even then the powerhouse stores are lacking.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

At least one of the non-powerhouse stores have now lost their electronic components - Chatswood Westfield. Not that it makes much difference, because their stock control had gone to hell.

I was told by the sales assistant that the "Powerhouse" distinction is dead now anyway.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

At Broadmeadows Vic, they have their new "Techxperts" big store, and a normal store that has been there for years. I can't see this lasting long at all.

They dropped their Tandy shop several months ago.

Don...

-- Don McKenzie

Site Map:

E-Mail Contact Page:
Web Camera Page:
No More Damn Spam:

Breakout, Prototype, Development, & Robotics Boards.

Don McKenzie

Dick Smith Mulgrave Road Cairns closed recently I heard, I haven't been there for over 6 months as a new Jaycar opened across the road from them and it wasn't worth the effort any longer: they haven't had 10K resistors for 4 years now as their computer said they had heaps in stock when there was none on the shelves: way too many examples of poor stock control.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

I guess Brent must have a shiny suit an an MBA to come up with such insightful reasoning.

Reply to
Swanny

When I saw your header, for a brief moment I thought you were the bearer of good news. But alas, ....

Reply to
who where

Sounds like he hasn't even visited a store.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

You mean there were no 2.7 ohm resistors in the 10K drawer, even ....

geoff

Reply to
geoff

Dang it - I was after some 2.7 ohm the other day, and there were apparently none. It didn't occur to me to check the 10K drawer.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I suspect the real reason is that Woolworth's paid a large annual figure for the right to use his face.

Our local Tandy is just being rebadged to Dick Smiths

--
Remove norubbish to reply
Reply to

Hell - you could have found them anywhere /everywhere. Except the right drawer !

geoff

Reply to
geoff

Would have made a good comedy sketch

Reply to
Mark Harriss

The new branding and store format for the consumer electronics division was mentioned in the Woolworths half year results published in February.

"Consumer Electronics reported solid sales growth for the half year with sales for the half year reaching $838.9 million, up 9.1% on last half year and comparable store sales increasing by 5.8% (normalised for movements in exchange rates)

Earlier this year we commenced a review of the positioning and ranging within this business and having completed this review we have commenced implementing a number of key findings from this strategic review.

These include:

Rollout of new format store: Results achieved in our new format Dick Smith stores have been extremely pleasing reflecting strong customer acceptance of the new refreshed offer.

Comparable sales growth in the 33 stores we have completed was well in excess of the network. We plan to have 79 stores in this new format by the end of this financial year.

Improvements to our range: As we did in BIG W, we have commenced repositioning our range to be more relevant to the consumer.

New price promise: "Best price and you'll pay no more for the right advice" builds on an existing strength being our product knowledge and expert advice and re-enforces the value of our offering.

New Branding: we have commenced the rollout of a more contemporary logo and signage across the business. The "Dick Smith - Talk to the Techxperts" logo and signage has a more contemporary look and feel and is being rolled out across our network.

Over the next two years we will transition out of the Powerhouse and Tandy brands and consolidate under Dick Smith.

Investment in our people: Improvements in recruitment, retention initiatives, training and support for our people are underway. A new staff training program focussed on sales techniques and customer service has delivered genuine results ensuring our staff are trusted and knowledgeable.

Gross margins have declined 180 bps as we transition out of certain categories and experience both changes in sales mix and a highly competitive market. Costs remain well controlled with a modest increase of 3 bps.

29 Dick Smith Electronics stores and 3 Powerhouse stores were opened during the half taking total stores to 433. Average inventory levels were up 0.2 days from than last year.
Reply to
acacia

I know what a blacksmith does and I know what a silversmith does and I know what a locksmith does. I have heard of coppersmiths, gunsmiths and goldsmiths, and I can imagine what they do, too.

Reply to
L.A.T.

Dicksmith in my town was right next to Locksmith. I though I was the only one who had drawn the 'connection'.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

Or did. I went into Brisbane store today to buy a fuse holder and they were packing up all the components, plugs, sockets etc. into boxes. Not sure what they were doing, but I can only guess

Reply to
The Real Andy

I've long wondered why Dick Smith even stock electronic components. It's hard to imagine they make a profit from them, particularly when their failed stock control results in the consumption of significant staff time for customers who only wanted to spend a dollar or two, and probably end up not spending even that.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Originally it was a condition of sale of the chain from Mr Dick, that they maintain electronic component sales.

Since then it has drifted from goodwill and service, to grudging, to now 'marginal'. Maybe they should rename to Dick Smith Appliances and be done with it.....

If I was Dick I'd be suing them for misuse of his good (albeit slightly nerdy) name.

geoff

Reply to
geoff