Dick Smith - Page 3

Re: Dick Smith

** One good thing DSE did during the 70s was to sell PCBs for all their kits, along with any special parts that were needed as separate items.

So I was able to get the PCB and C-core transformer for the "Playmaster Twin 40" in mid 1976 and use them to replace the internals of an existing stereo amplifier to build my own, rather better version.

Along the way, I found fixes for some problems with the published circuit in relation to excessive DC offset at the output and also its variation with the position of the balance pot.

By adding a couple of tantalum caps and Hfe matching some BC639s, the offset went from 500mV worst case to about 20mV. This was important since I was using the amp with a pair of Quad ESLs with an input transformer having only 0.3ohms resistance.

...  Phil

Re: Dick Smith

I used to get a lot of stuff from Radio parts. One of my
responsibilities was the media room in the college and Radio Parts was
the best source of good quality gear in the 80s. Used their Nth
Melbourne store most of the time but occasionally used their Carnegie
store. I remember well the Radio Parts decline. They still have their
Nth Melbourne store. http://tinyurl.com/zluxvkd I wonder if they have
improved? Haven't been back for a good decade and a half at least.

One of the more interesting electronics hobbyist stores in Melbourne in
the 80s was Rod Irving Electronics. They kept a lot of good stuff and I
bought my first computer from them back when they only had their
Northcote Store. I knew Rod to talk to but he wasn't a very personable
chap. He spent most of his time up on the Mezzanine floor at his
Northcote Store, away from customers. I knew his manager, Greg Boot,
quite well. Greg opened up the A'Beckett Street store in Melbourne and
he eventually split it into 2 sections, the usual hobby stuff and,
upstairs, a computer software store. Not sure what the arrangement was
but it looks like Greg's little software business folded up too;
http://tinyurl.com/humu8qw

I remember those well. You only had to breathe near the plastic covers
and they would crack. Kid glove treatment needed all the way. I used to
hate those aftermarket RCA plugs and sockets as I was always modifying
audio stuff.

Yep, done that too.
I used to buy a few mail order items from Dick Smith back in the 70s
when I was working in the mines in WA. Apart from various kits, one of
the items I bought was my Yaesu FRG7. After WA, I took the FRG7 to
Indonesia. That beast still exists and lives in Vic. I sold it to a
friend when I left Indonesia.
Apart from the standard EA type kits he sold, a lot of his kits were for
kids. I was more into computers in the 80s anyway.

--

Xeno

Re: Dick Smith

 ** Sounds like a good idea.

I made a one, mail order purchase from RIE in 1987. 100 Motorola power tran
sistors - 50 each of MJ15003 and MJ15004, or at least that is what they wer
e labelled.

Their scruffy appearance worried me, so I did few tests and found they did
not meet important specs for the types. An early morning phone call to Moto
rla's head office in Phoenix comfirmed they were fake - old stock 2N3055s a
nd MJ2955s relabelled as the much more expensive parts with fake date codes
 to.

When I finally got to speak with Rod on the phone, he admitted buying them
from Ellistronics. Turned out Jaycar had a few hundred of them on hand too,
 from the same source.

So they could not be sold on to any others, I removed the fake labelling wi
th acetone and returned them for a refund - which prompted a letter from Ro
d's lawyer complaining about this because it "... prevented his client gett
ing a refund from his suppliers ".

I eventually got my money back, after EA mag published photos of the fakes
with a warning about such counterfeits and advice to buy only from authoris
ed Motorola resellers.

....  Phil

Re: Dick Smith

It probably was. I wonder what's become of Rod now?

Looks like a few people got clipped!
I didn't buy much in the way of components from RIE. Used Radio Parts
for much of that. Was known to buy stuff at the DSE store in Bridge
Road, Richmond but that was more a convenience thing since I worked just
opposite the Richmond Baths a bit further along Bridge Road.

--

Xeno

Re: Dick Smith

I used to go in there a lot. may have bumped shoulders with you
sometime.. :)

they did a 'Dick Smith'. went out of electronic parts and into retail of
hifi, tv's, antenna's, home security, car alarms, etc.,

"As long as there is this book [Koran] there will be no peace in the world"
-William Gladstone, four times PM of Great Britain
Re: Dick Smith

Still kicking my self that I did not get a petrol powered pogo stick.

Re: Dick Smith

I remember those, or at least the controversy around them.

Oh well, you could always kill yourself with one of those new-fangled
hover boards instead :)

Re: Dick Smith

No he got rich by providing a valuable service to hundreds of mail order
customers.

And do people remember that he was instrumental in breaking the DoC's
back when it came to selling and eventually ensuring that the 27MHz CB
became legal ??

Re: Dick Smith

.. make that thousands of mail order customers. Not everyone lives in
Sydney you know.  ;)

None of the electronic components I purchased off DSE were crap. They
were good quality at all times.

Re: Dick Smith

other electronic companies had a mail order service, but I don't recall
their owners becoming billionaires

I would really like to see Trevor Wilson comment in this thread

--
"As long as there is this book [Koran] there will be no peace in the world"
-William Gladstone, four times PM of Great Britain
Re: Dick Smith
Inject some firearms or AGW and you will.

Re: Dick Smith

Yes he's a religious zealot!
My sig sniff's them out
--
Petzl
What perfect set of circumstances placed our Sun a Celestial ball of fire at just the correct distance from our little blue planet for life to evolve?

That's a good point and something I'd forgotten about.

I most certainly do.
How times have changed...

Re: Dick Smith

Dick Smith hasn't had anything to do with Dick Smith Electronics since 1982.

When Woolworths bought Tandy in 2001 (before killing it off) and then
completely changed the direction of DSE and not long after is when it
all started to go really wrong.

The last episode stems back from the sale of the chain by Woolworths to
Anchorage Capital Partners in 2011. They essentially flipped the
business when they listed it after a fire sale that made debt look like
profit. They sold their remaining 20% stake in September 2014 and indeed
left a mess where the company was hugely overvalued and with bugger all
revenue from actual sales.

The inevitable was just around the corner.

Re: Dick Smith

That was a long, long time ago...

Hmm, don't think so. Jaycar (and others) have that niche sewn up.

Re: Dick Smith

I know so.

Like hell they do.

Re: Dick Smith

Such as?
There was nothing niche about DSE for at least a decade.

None. Jaycar has already filled that niche especially in the last decade
and from the point Woolworths decided to kill off the niche areas that
made the DSE brand famous and a success in the first place.

DSE simply ended up in no-mans land as a retail business.

Re: Dick Smith

Places like Harvey Norman don't have as many electronic type items than Dick
Smith.  And Jaycar doesn't have things like TVs, phones and computers.

Dick Smith was your one stop shop.  I think it was great.  I was a frequent
customer.

Re: Dick Smith

Exactly. Why *should* Jaycar have TVs, phones and computers? That
market is completely and utterly saturated ten times over. I don't
want to see *any* of that stuff in Jaycar.

You must be under 40 years old to say that. DSE in it's latter years
sucked at every market segment it strived to deal in.

Re: Dick Smith

DSE didn't sell food or clothing.

Sylvia

Site Timeline