Dick Smith: 189 of 386 stores set to close

Off with Dick?s head: 189 stores set to close

Woolworths? strategic review of Dick Smith is drawing to an end, and CLSA analysts predict 189 of the retailers? 386 stores could close as a result.

Parent company Woolworths is reviewing the electronics retailer due to underperforming sales, and CLSA analysts believe the best option is to reduce store numbers.

"We believe that Woolworths will close up to 189 stores (out of 386) that are deemed unviable and invest significant effort in pursuing an online strategy to support the 'bricks and mortar' presence," analysts David Thomas and Richard Barwick wrote in a report entitled "Off With Dick's Head".

"While some may see this as a band-aid measure, we believe it will give Woolworths an ability to improve profitability, continue to be a relevant player in consumer electronics and allow it to minimise the initial liability-writedown,? the report read.

Full Story:

Cheers Don...

====================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/

DuinoMite the PIC32 $35 Basic Computer-MicroController
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-maximite-computer.html
Just add a VGA monitor or TV, and PS2 Keyboard.
Arduino Shield, Programmed in Basic, or C.
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Techxperts -- FAIL!

Reply to
omg

They've also abandoned their 'refund within 14 days, no questions asked' policy. I thought it was too good to last.

--
rgds,

Pete
-------
?If Julia is the answer, then what was the stupid question?!?

"Julia finally got something right. Older people don't vote Labor, because they
have seen too many incompetent, mismanaging, money-wasting Labor governments"

"I regard the prime minister to be in breach of the written agreement she
signed, leaving me no option but to honour my word and end my current
relationship with her government. We should be able to trust our politicians to
keep their word. Frankly a deal is a deal" - Andrew Wilkie, Federal Member for
Denison

?All that's needed now is a small miracle to rid us of the worst prime minister
and the worst government in Australia's history?

  "If the WORLD as a whole cut ALL emissions tomorrow, the average temperature
of the planet's not going to drop for several hundred years, perhaps over on
thousand years" - Tim Flannery, Climate Commissioner
Reply to
felix_unger

dropping the parts line lost a huge group pf customers as the s**te microwaves can be had cheaper elsewhere

Reply to
atec77

analysts predict 189 of the retailers? 386

(snip)

Since they stopped carrying most of the stuff I would have bought there in the past, from my pov they might as well shut the whole 386 of them.

Reply to
who where

So what?

Q: What's an Australian kiss? A: Just like a French kiss, but down under.
Reply to
Parko

They probably had too many stores anyway after acquiring Tandy. Several duplicate stores were closed just after the acquisition, however many remained open, with dubious viability. What exactly does DSE do now that makes it any different from HN, JB etc?

Reply to
swanny

And that's the real problem with retail shopping over the years there are now to many of them doing much the same next door to each other.

--
 Petzl
http://tinyurl.com/abba-money-money-money-midi

They charge more and employ less knowledgeable staff

Reply to
keithr

No great loss there. Except possibly to their shareholders. Good riddance to (post 1985) DSE I say.

------ If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong? ? Steven Wright

Reply to
Jeßus

They don't have enuf stock/variety as the above mentioned.

Reply to
SG1

My first amplifier was a Dick Smith kit - the EA Playmaster 136 from around

1972/73. There was only one Dick Smith store at the time, at Gore Hill in Sydney. I used the mail order service and the kit arrived promptly with all bits included - and it worked first time. DSE has long since lost the plot.
Reply to
Yaputya Leftlegin

No it didn't.

I worked for DSE and parts sales were almost insignifcant largely due to pressure from cheap sources online and places like Jaycar that have a better inventory of components.

Even Jaycar is having to diversify as component sales are ever declining.

Reply to
Clocky

analysts predict 189 of the retailers? 386

what did they ever sell that was any good

[...]

Since they've long become just another consumer electronics retail store, I doubt they'll be missed by many readers of these groups.

From my perspective, they died a while back, they just didn't stop moving.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

They were at one time handy for electronics, like components and stuff and had a decent range of tools for electronics work... If you weren't into that, then they had little to offer I guess.

Reply to
Clocky

When I was working there about 8 years ago the rot had already well and truly set in.

Staff generally avoided anyone approaching the "P" section like they had the plague already then, because there was no money in it and it required some expertise to help people. High GP items meant a bigger paycheck and upselling extended warranties on high value items was all the rage.

It was clearl already then that the "P" section was a relic that nobody really wanted anymore. As service got worse, fewer customers would come in to ask for advice and buy components, so lines got deleted etc, until they finally dumped the whole lot last year.

But really it's hard to see how DSE has any relevance at all today as others are doing what they are trying to do, but they already do it much better.

Reply to
Clocky

sell crappy DSE products.. :)

--
rgds,

Pete
-------
[...]

yes, I know. Dicky had kits for just about everything. but the electronic parts and components were pretty cheap and nasty and overpriced. He made his money by importing cheap junk and selling it at inflated prices, and from his kits. in those days he had little competition, but you could always get better electronic parts from electronic parts stores like Radio Parts, until they started selling the cheap stuff to compete. I recall when Radio Parts used to sell mostly German plugs, sockets, etc. then when they started selling the imported shit you couldn't even solder half their stuff without it falling apart. Dicky was also one of the first retailers to get into computers, with the Sinclair, etc., He had little competition with the PC's.

--
rgds,

Pete
-------
[...]

because it's a throwaway situation now with electronic items. you wont find many TV repair shops these days.