Dick Smith Electronics in administration.

This has nothing to do with Dick Smith, the man, of course.

Once they tried to reinvent Dick Smith Electronics as a consumer
electronics retailer, it seemed entirely likely that they'd go under
sooner or later, since that market is cut-throat.

No great loss.

Sylvia.

Re: Dick Smith Electronics in administration.

Heh, when I was in there buying a couple of HDMI cables (2 pack 5M for
$20) just last week I noticed they were moving stock around with a lot
of empty shelving and I asked the manager (who I know from what he did
previously) half jokingly if that was it and they were closing shop.

He said it was just the after-Christmas stock reshuffle but it looks
like I wasn't far off the mark.

Re: Dick Smith Electronics in administration.
Perhaps, though I doubt he knew about the administration. Once the
directors decide that an administrator is required, they have to appoint
one as soon possible, or risk being accused of trading while insolvent.

Sylvia.

Re: Dick Smith Electronics in administration.

He wouldn't have known about the administration, he's just started the
job. I just meant my comments were quite salient to the situation DSE
was actually in, in hindsight.

Re: Dick Smith Electronics in administration.
On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 10:40:19 +1100, Sylvia Else

I always thought they were doomed, as towards the end they did nothing
particularly great and their competitors did it much better.

Nope.

Re: Dick Smith Electronics in administration.

** DSE is still trading and is about to be offered for sale as a going conc
ern.
There is a massive debt owed to the NAB and various suppliers, so that may
not happen.

But the name itself would be a valuable asset for someone and so is not lik
ely to completely disappear.

Possibly it could be used for an electronics equivalent of Aldi, where all
the goods use in-house brand names with low prices and face no direct compe
tition. DSE was pretty much like that back in the 70s and 80s when Dick imp
orted nearly everything from HK and Taiwan and stuck his own name and cat n
umber on them.

Dick's oft stated fear that the "Aussie" company he started could wind up w
ith a foreign owner is about to come true.

....  Phil

Re: Dick Smith Electronics in administration.
On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 23:16:24 -0800 (PST), Phil Allison

I wonder if there's been any comment from Dick himself?

Re: Dick Smith Electronics in administration.

I think I remember him saying something in the ABC TV news report I
saw, might have been stock footage though.

--

Site Timeline