Converting Watts To Amps And Vice Versa

That rather suggests that people are doing unnecessary BIOS upgrades.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

And you think *all* BIOS upgrades are unnecessary? Shame there is often a good reason for the manufacturer to waste money writing the new firmware! Or perhaps you think that the necessary upgrades can never fail? Or maybe it's just YOU who has never needed one.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Did I say that?

Manufacturers also advise that one should not upgrade the BIOS unless one is experiencing an issue that the upgrade is intended to address.

Undoubtedly some upgrades are needed, and occasionally they will fail.

But for the situation Tom described to arise, there would have to be a lot of upgrades going on. I would be surprised if they're all necessary. If they're not *all* necessary, then my suggestion that people are doing unnecessary BIOS upgrades is supported.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Had exactly that when my wife forgot to power her machine off prior to a scheduled power outage. The blue screen flashed up for less than a second, I ended up photographing it to see whet the problem was.

The problem was a corrupted registry file, but M$ make you jump through hoops to recover when it could be quite simply automated if Windows detected the situation.

Mind you, that is only the second such problem that I've seen ever. The other was a DOS machine that lost power halfway through updating the FAT. That was an interesting problem to fix, but the store manager (it ran all his cash registers) was so happy to get his data back, that he gave me a nice bottle of single malt scotch.

Reply to
keithr

Did you read the rest of the options that *must* lead from your assertion?

Exactly, SOME people DO have problems the upgrade is designed to address, therefore DO need to upgrade!

So WHY again does one failing "suggest that people are doing unnecessary BIOS upgrades"?

Just as I would be surprised if a lot weren't.

Nope. While it *might* be so, nothing you have said *proves* anything of the kind. In fact I know more people who have problems with their computers because they haven't upgraded the BIOS and weren't aware that was the cause of their problem. In fact I'd say the majority of computer users wouldn't know what the BIOS even does, or EVER check for updates. Most people I know have to be told how to even get into the BIOS configuration screen, and wouldn't dream of changing the settings, let alone the BIOS itself!!!!!!!!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Not taking proper care during BIOS upgrades is the cause here, not the unnecessary updating of BIOS or "unnecessary" BIOS updates being released.

Many are for things that might not be relevant to you such as "support new CPU", but if you update your CPU you will need these, even if you dont need them now with your existing CPU.

even the cheapest UPS on the market would hold the PC up for long enough to finish a BIOS update, unless BIOS sizes have bloated out in recent couple of years and take 10's of minutes to flash.

Reply to
kreed

upgrades going on. I would be surprised if they're all necessary. If they're not

*all* necessary, then my suggestion that people are doing unnecessary BIOS upgrades is supported.

I wrote "I have fixed quite a few computers with bricked m/b...", thought it will be clear that they were someone elses computers.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Yes, so I assumed. But it still implies a signifcant rate of BIOS upgrades.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else