Question on converting amp / volts to watts

Hello,

I just purchased a product and the motor has 4 different speeds. The box says 0.7 amps / 120 volts.

I'm assuming that you just multiply the amps x volts to get the watts which would be 84 watts. Is that correct? If it's correct is that the max on the highest setting? Meaning if you put it on the slowest setting would it be under 84 watts?

Sorry for the newbie / dumb type questions, but I know nothing about this stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hoops

Reply to
Hoopster

Hi...

You're promoted from newbie to... to... to whatever comes next :)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

And if you want to have some real fun, get a clamp-on multimeter (these things don't cost as much as they used to). Then get a cheap 6' lamp extension cord and carefully split the wire for about a foot, taking care to keep both wires insulated. Plug your device in to the extension cord, clamp over the hot and you can see exactly how much current the motor is using at each speed.

It's a gas.

Reply to
Eric Vey

Nominally, yes, you multiply amps x volts to get watts. But it's not completely accurate due to "power factor". But lets not complicate things.

The figure > Hello,

Reply to
Mike Berger

Power factor can be pretty significant, the amperage draw of an inductive load can easily be double what the actual power draw is.

Reply to
James Sweet

"James Sweet" bravely wrote to "All" (23 Sep 05 03:18:53) --- on the heady topic of "Re: Question on converting amp / volts to watts"

JS> From: "James Sweet" JS> Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:342872

JS> Power factor can be pretty significant, the amperage draw of an JS> inductive load can easily be double what the actual power draw is.

An ac motor, at the moment it starts, typically draws about 3 times its rated current.

A*s*i*m*o*v

... The current limits placed are based on resistance

Reply to
Asimov