how to convert LCD DISPLAY TO LED VICE VERSA

I have one electronic instrument weighing m/c it has lcd display i want to convert it into led display i want to know how ?

Reply to
sabinstu

A major project as I would assume the electronics is based around a custom chip... At the least , you would have to have a fair amount of electronics to 'capture' the data being sent to the LCD. If it's a graphic matrix display, I'd give up now...

Reply to
TTman

Many LCD displays are custom, and have "segments" that are "symbols" instead of any alph-numeric character or character segment.

Some are dot matrix graphics arrays.

Of the two, the graphics array would be the easiest, but you would have to 'grab' every line and row vector from the array, and drive a full set of drivers that would then fire each LED.

Like the other guy said... give it up now.

An interesting item to look at in this arena are the Logitech series of keyboards (so called "gaming keyboards")which have an LCD graphic array on them

The first series was fairly low resolution. A mere 160 x 43, the G15.

They are now full color and 320 x 240 able to play movies (and do). As in the Logitech G19.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Probably easier to point a camera at it and either do some image recognition or output to a monitor... These days you could probably do it with an older cell phone.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

There is a guy floating around in here that has a recog software he wrote for his camera output file(s).

Joerg maybe.. I dunno. An "over there" guy, for sure.

He posted a video of the edge recog in action on passing cars.

Looked promising.

Maybe I saw it in a linux group tho.

Reply to
The Keeper of the Key to The L

But if it's one of those expensive serial data LCD's, it might be easy to grab the data going to it. Then use that to drive the LED display. But the chances of that seem pretty slim.

I think those serial displays are more for hobbyist, and maybe lazy systems designers. (?)

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

What kind of LCD display? 2x16 character or dotmatrix? VGA or better? Is there some point at which you can intercept the data stream driving the LCD display? What format is it in? Something 'standard' like serial characters, VGA or DVI? Simple to do. Something proprietary (or custom for the application)? Not so easy.

Why LEDs? Is it an issue of visibility? There may be a fix that involves keeping the LCD and adding or improving the backlight.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
 Click to see the full signature

Have you seen what the G15 keyboard does? RSS news feeds... all kinds of stuff! They are 160x43 (Lost numbers?... Naaaaaahw!).

There are G15 websites for the open software to make the thing work in Linux, because Logitech shot themselves in the foot with at least one hire, way back when (the idiot that said no to Linux)(AND the idiot that took away the old style trackballs!!!).

I have seen folks capture jpegs from their cameras, and display them from within Linux as they are being saved for an old slow-frame-like experience, except at about 30fps. I'll find the link here...

There are a bunch of G15 and G19 youtube videos of this display-in-keyboard. Pretty cool stuff.

Farm out!

OceanPit! Flea infestation capital of the US. Built in distribution system (public transportation)(buses filled EVERY DAY with ILLEGAL FARMIGRANTS!!!)(Bag ladies)(Bag dudes). Truly sad that San Diego is also the homeless capital of the nation, if not the world as well.

Beach bums and their bugs everywhere as well.

One must find natural repellents and insecticides for the little bastards because they are so constant. (the emigrants)(j/k)(yes, I know which word I chose). No... I mean the insects, of course, not their carriers...

Remeber, this is only at 160x43!

The Keeper of the Key to The L

What a great suggestion! If the problem is visibility, (not size, or some other concern), and especially if the OP's got a character LCD, it should be a breeze to just swap it out with a higher contrast, and possibly backlit replacement. Many character LCD use the exact same instruction set (some Hitachi chip, I think.)

Reply to
mpm

have you considered LCD with led backlight?

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to