Aerial CAT5/6 cable wanted

Does anyone know where I can get about 20-30 metres of aerial CAT5 or CAT6 cable in Melbourne? I need to connect a cable through the air between two structures on the same property.

Thanks, Peter

Reply to
Pete

Any electrical supply house should be able to supply some Cat6uv and many have shorter lengths , however it would much better to have your cabler supply pre-terminated fibre with an interface at each end of the link , You will certainly have differing earth potential with Cat6 across the buildings which is very undesirable and can result in injury as a result of the potential . I assume you realise unless you have a cablers ticket you risk a heavy fine for doing commercial work as described.

--
Reply to
atec77

UV resistant cable jacketing isn't the problem - yes, the cable needs to be outdoor rated, but the sticking point seems to be finding cable with an inbuilt "hanger wire", for want of a better term. I can find no end of outdoor cable, but invariably when the distributors say outdoor, they don't mean that it can be strung between structures without a separate hanger wire.

I tried Middy's and a couple of other similar places, but nothing is available off the shelf. Have you actually seen aerial cat5/6 cable at any electrical supply house? Which/where?

These places say that they can "probably" get some in for me, but it'd be a whole 1000ft roll, and I only need 20-30 metres for this one application.

This application requires a metallic connection. Differing earth potential is not an issue.

This application does not connect to the telecommunications network in any way.

Peter

Reply to
Pete

[...]

** Make your own - why not?

SS cable is not hard to find.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The point being you string the cantenary and then add the cable using clips or zips , inbuilt hanging wire is 2 times the price and comes ONLY in 300 metre rolls that I have seen. If there is the potential to connect to the network OR it's fixed then you need a cabler

--
Reply to
atec77

So in theory any fixed ethernet wiring these days needs to be installed by an Austel licenced person?

Reply to
Dennis

Nope.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Care to cite the legislation that mandates a cabler's licence to install fixed Cat 5 cabling that isn't connected to the telecommunications network?

Sylvia

Reply to
Sylvia Else

structured cable requires a cabler with suitable permits yes and no every sparky can do the work

--
Reply to
atec77

wrong as always

--
Reply to
atec77

Union driven legislation perhaps?

Given the workmanship standards of the sparkies (who according to the signage on their vans were Austel licenced as well) that have done work for me I'm glad I did my own network wiring!

Reply to
Dennis

for a short run like that just use outdoor wire and tie it to a galv, catenary using a lacing wire or cable ties etc.

you could use stainless but unless you're right on the coast galv will probably last 20 years, probably longer than the useful life of the cat6 form-factor

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

It came into law about 189 or so , specifically staiting if it become intergrall with the building it's considered structured and requires a permit

You realise most sparkys get confused after three colours ? of course not all cablers have a clue but in your case the use of the right metal cable and uv ties will last a decade or more , don't use ordinary zips as they only last about 4 or 5 years

--
Reply to
atec77