Coax TV aerial installation help, Brisbane

I'm about to help my son connect up a couple of TV outlets in a home he has just bought - despite the aerial, there were NONE in it, believe it or not, just cable. I went looking online at the 75 ohm cable available from DSE and Jaycar. Whilst I've done this sort of thing before, I hadn't realised the variety of cable that is available.

The longest run will be about 12m. The area is one of reasonable signal strength and whilst they don't have DTV at present, I expect they'll be in the house long enough for it to become an issue.

Can anyone (politely) suggest what cable characteristics I should be looking for? I'm going to need about 20m and don't want to waste either too much or too little of his money! Thanks Dave

Reply to
vwq47

you need at least RG59 au but I suggest RG6 quad shield where in Brisbane are you ?

Reply to
a t e c 7 7

"vwq47"

** Why not this one ?

Just under $2 a metre and just under 0.2 dB / m loss at UHF.

Not too shabby.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks for the suggestion.

He's in The Gap

Reply to
vwq47

Thanks Phil.

Actually, after a bit of searching last might I came across a Forum which convinced me that what I needed was RG6 and I'd decided that if there was no response here I'd to go out and buy exactly this DSE product. Thanks for responding and confirming that I'm still able to sift out some of the wheat!

dave

vwq47

Yes, quad shield RG6 is the go, as are F connectors. It also makes installation much easier if you use the "twist on" F connectors.

Bunnings have quad shield RG6 for around $1/m I think. Don't be tempted by the dual shield RG6 at around $0.60/m, quad is better.

Note also that the twist on F connectors come in two types designed for either dual or quad shield.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"vwq47"

** So, there are at least 3 runs involved ?

How many outlets are you gonna install ??

With 3 runs and using the existing antenna down lead - it makes 4.

Bought your 4 way splitter yet ??

Considered using an amplifier to compensate for splitter losses ?

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Just the aerial in and two outlets . . lounge and bedroom. Cable is in place and one hole bored, I have the splitter and connectors. It's too hot there now and I'm off to a funeral! dave

Reply to
vwq47

Under 45 Deg C ? get in there and fix it contractor

Reply to
a t e c 7 7

I have the same in my house. I bought a splitter from the local electrical wholesaler and a roll of rg6 quad sheild when it was on special. Turns out the roll advertised was a mistake but they gave it to me at the advertised price anyway. Cabled a few of my mates places too!

Reply to
The Real Andy

The wholesale price is around .50 a metre . so how did you do ?

Reply to
a t e c 7 7

You should be able to pick up good reception in The Gap using a straightened paper clip plugged in TV antenna socket... No need to run cables from the roof! I used to live there.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

My TAFE teacher told us that he was building a new house about two km from the Mt Lennard TV transmitter near Bunbury. He carefully ran the coax through the double brick wall to an outlet in the lounge room, but on moving into the house he found he had a really bad picture. After doing a few checks he found that the signal was far too strong and ended up with a two inch stub of wire on the back of the TV as the antenna.

Dofus

Reply to
Dorfus Dippintush

I picked up a 100m roll for something like $20-30 from turks at geebung. IIRC at the same time I also bought a genuine krone 24way cat

5 pacth panel at a bargain price.
Reply to
The Real Andy