Upgrading TV aerial cable - advice needed

Hi, Posted here ages ago (or so it seems) regarding a dirty signal causing problems with the terrestrial digital TV receiver (clicks and loss of picture).

Someone suggested making up a Balun - which seemed to help, but I think our main problem is that the pr*ts who installed our current setup put the lead from the aerial (in the attic) down to the lounge on the outside of the house, leaving it vunerable to the elements and storm damage. I know that coax can be a little delicate, especially after being battered for what must be around 15 years.

We upgraded the aerial a while back, and we're thinking that installing a fresh length of cable (in trunking mounted inside the house) would be an easier option than trying to mount the aerial outside the house (I HATE ladders!).

Anyway, we have some technical questions regarding this upgrade, and wondered if anyone would be kind enough to suggest some answers.

(1) Maplin here in the UK sell double-insulated coax cable that should be ideal for the job, and is rated at 75 Ohms. They also sell an uprated version of this which is rated at 50 Ohms. This latter cable will not fit the standard UK aerial plug and socket, so I would need to have leads from the wall socket to TV constructed of standard 75 Ohm coax. Will I actually gain anything by going to the extra trouble of using the higher grade coax for the main length from the attic to the lounge (roughly 7 metres)?

(2) I am thinking of installing two sockets in the lounge in one wall box, which (since the connectors are solder type on the sockets) should provide a better quality split of signal than one of the plug-in- splitters you can get. Is there anything to be gained by installing them in a metal box, with the screening connected to the box?

(3) In a similar vein to (2), is there anything to gain my using metal trunking instead of plastic, or will this simply amplify any interference rather than backing up the screening within the coax?

(4) If I use an aerial amplifier (mains powered), am I better off installing this in the attic prior to the cable leading down to the lounge, or just connecting one at the outlet in the lounge?

--
Regards,
       Dave

email: dave_ryman@hotmailNOSPAM.com

My Homepage: http://homepages.tesco.net/david.ryman/
The F1 travel guide: http://www.zdp06.ukgateway.net/f1_travel.htm
Reply to
Dave Ryman

In message , dated Tue,

12 Sep 2006, Dave Ryman writes

DEFINITELY replace the cable; 15 years is far too long.

Probably not. Avoid the 50 ohm cable; the complication is not worth it.

It won't hurt, but you can't connect the sockets in parallel. Make a

3-poited star from three 27 ohm resistors. Connect the incoming coax inner to one point of the star and the inner of the sockets to the other points. All braids connect together.

No point unless the interference is very strong. If you use metal tube, earth it.

As near the antenna as possible. Preferably a masthead amplifier.

There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.
John Woodgate

John Woodgate wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk:

(snip)

Excellent - thanks very much for all that info. We're replacing the TV soon, so it'll be nice to have a solid signal.