USB extender

Hi,

I need to design an USB extender since I need to transmit data over a cable between 5 and 10 metres of length. I think a CAT 5 extender could do the job, but I have really no idea where to start. Could anyone provide schematics and tips?

Many thanks. Max

Reply to
Max

Why? For 5m, you just use a 5m cable. For 10m, you just use a 10m USB cable that has a little hub in the middle, or even 2 5m cables and a $5 hub.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I need to carry USB and LVDS LCD signals over the same multiwire cable, so I can't put a repeater in the middle, otherwise I'd have to put a repeater also for the other signals. That's why I need to integrate a CAT5 extender onboard at the transmitter side and a receiver at the end of the cable.

Reply to
Max

It's for production purposes: a main board somewhere and a remote console within 10m distance.

Reply to
Max

Why? You just split off the USB wires. However, this isn't exactly a production method.

Is this production, or one-off. I've found powered-hub - 10m cable - powered hub worked OK for usb1.1.

Reply to
Ian Stirling