$1b electric car infrastructure deal

Actually it's far from that good and may even be the reverse. What do you think those cooling towers are for at power plants. Half the energy gets 'thrown away'.

Typical electricity generation averages around 30-33% from power plant energy input to wall socket. Losses in battery charging may lose another 10-20% of it too. It's not like refilling a pail of water, it's like refilling a leaky pail of water. so you could easily be in 25% efficiency territory (not dissinilar to a modern petrol engine) and worse as you factor in electrical losses in the vehicle itself.

In comparison, modern diesel engine efficiency targets for new technology engines such as ones that eliminate the traditional camshaft are in the 40% range and large marine diesels already exceed 50% thermal efficiency.

"With a 42.7 MJ/kg fuel, the efficiency is 22.1 MJ/kg / 42.7 MJ/kg = 51.7%."

Apparently MAN make one with ~ 57% efficiency.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

And I forgo this bit too. Another guy in another group wondered about reclaiming exhaust heat. They DO !

"High-efficiency waste heat recovery

An important feature of the first ship installation of the 14RT-flex96C is the high-efficiency waste heat recovery system. It contributes major savings in fuel consumption and reductions in exhaust gas emissions.

Exhaust gases of the ship?s main engine pass through an exhaust-gas economiser to generate steam for a turbine-driven generator. The turbogenerator set also includes an exhaust-gas power turbine driven by a portion of the exhaust gases diverted from the main flow through the engine?s turbochargers.

This high-efficiency waste heat recovery plant can provide an electrical output of up to about 12% of the main engine power. The generated electricity is supplied to the ship?s main switchboard and employed in a shaft motor to assist in ship propulsion. A portion of the steam from the exhaust economiser is utilised in shipboard heating services.

Energy recovery is maximised by adapting the engine to the lower air intake temperatures that are available by drawing intake air from outside the ship (ambient air) instead of from the ship?s engine room. The engine turbochargers are matched for the lower air intake temperatures thereby increasing the exhaust energy without affecting the air flow through the engine. There is thus no increase in the thermal loading of the engine and there is no adverse effect on engine reliability."

So we're into ~ 58% efficiency territory here.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Apart from the fact it's a load of garbage.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The technology is fairly mature and 'green' energy is EXPENSIVE.

Just another pipe dream.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Solar recharging from panels on a vehicle even in ideal circumstances might daily get you to the end of the road.

Do the numbers !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Fossil fuel is also subsidised in Australia:

In Australia we currently have the option to pay about 1.5 times the fossil fuel rate for 100% renewable energy.

Recycled water is also massively subsidised in Oz, and same too even regular water to some degree.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Laughable.

Not particularly, a common myth. There is currently a drive to make 40% efficient diesel engines for automotive use.

Large marine diesels have no trouble exceeding 50%.

Not particularly A common myth. About 30-33% from fuel thermal energy input to wall socket.

Read it up !

Grham

Reply to
Eeyore

Oh there are many battery Yechnologies but none ever quite seem to fit the bill. I expect Li-ion to be seen most widely in the upcoming generation of hynrids.

This was touted at one time.

Unforunately it has to be kept at high temperature. Might for be suitable say for buses that have long daily usage cycles.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

up

Curious.

You mean as the consumer ? There'll doubtless be a big govt subsidy to the supplier on top of that which isn't reflected in the price on your bill.

Water resource shortages presumably ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Also where are the batteries. Given that the artcile completely leaves out what battery technology the cars are going to use, Id say the idea hasnt had much research done. Batteries are currently the weak link for EVs , not lack of charging stations.

Reply to
Mauried

Indeed !

No. I suspect an attempt to manupulate share prices with provocative media announcements.

I believe the highest energy density types are the molten sodium and molten salt types e.g.

Like the Zebra battery. One small problem..... "When not in use, zebra batteries typically require being left under charge, in order to be ready for use when needed. If shut down, a reheating process must be initiated that may require up to two days to restore the battery pack to the desired temperature, and full charge."

They ALL have to be kept hot i.e. molten to work.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

**And electric motors can easily double such efficiencies.
**Indeed. Ever seen one mounted in a car? I haven't. I have, however, seen such engines generating electricity.
**Actually, the efficiencies of modern thermal generators is significantly better than that. Transmission losses in the order of 3% per 1,000km are easy enough to manage in this day and age. Large engines will always be able to provide higher specific efficiency that similar smaller engines. Hence the high efficiencies of the marine engines you cited.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Some clarification is needed on David's claim. It should state "90% renewable electrical energy." ^^^^^^^^

I'll leave it to your self proclaimed research abilities to find out what the present percentage is.

snip

-- Regards Malcolm Remove sharp objects to get a valid e-mail address

Reply to
Malcolm Moore

For solarpanels to be a real option, you would needto park the car in full snlight everyday and only be doing a short trip. You would also need a top up ICE driven battery charger in the boot. Might be feasible with the roof space of my LWB courier van, but anything else, doubt it.

Reply to
terryc

Strawman. Where does the electricity come from at what efficiency ?

Grid losses are typically in the order of 6-10% alone AIUI.

And you're not going to replace all that coal fired electricity overnight. The only realistic option is a huge scale program of nukes. You have the uranium AIUI. Result, the EV is currently LESS efficient than modern ICE based proposals and is inherently inflexible wrt long journeys.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

If there's lots of hydro and there's room for more I could see that happen. Bloody short timescale though.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

And then look at the cost of the panels ! Never mind the danger of accidental or vandalism damage to them.

Nanosolar has been making great claims about their reduced costs, possibly

1/5th of current silicon panels if they're telling the truth but have put no info of value in the public domain, nor do we know if the technology is reliable or long lived, but are they going to sell them at that price when investors want returns ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Provided that it keeps raining and in the right places. Hydro power is great if the dams are always full and the water is free. Some countries like Norway can make most of their power from Hydro but most cant as the geography isnt suitable. Goals are great provided that some elaboration on how the goal is to be achieved are also provided. Bland statements like "our target is to achieve 90% renewable power by some date arnt worth the paper they are written on unless its also explained how this is to be achieved."

Reply to
Mauried

CSIRO are working on one at the moment:

swanny

Yes, natural gas is a very good option. It is not too difficult to convert a conventional vehicle to use natural gas. The gas is usually compressed in a tank which will give about 100km or so, usually enough for daily commutes. The engine can be configured to switch to another fuel source when the gas runs out.

Reply to
swanny