Suggestion wanted Schematic to PCB design software

Hi Would someone please sugest to me where I can source some free/shareware software that will help me create a PCB design from a Schematic? Thanks

Reply to
Clubsprint

ExpressPCB or PCBExpress, EagleCad - both have free/lite versions available.

Reply to
Wayne.

Protel AutoTrax for DOS is freeware.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Is it expresspcb or pcbexpress or both that tie you to them for manufacture ?

Possibly no bad thing for hobby stuff anyway since you don't have to get involved in generating gerber and excellon drill files actually. You just email them your design and they automatically calculate the price for you actually you can do that before you send. Very simple software with few 'features' but I found one of them easy to use. Beware Fedex will charge you local taxes ex USA.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

PCB Wizard is reasonably good and very easy to use. Component libraries arent the greatest though and the auto-route is pretty ordinary, manual component and copper placement will yeild a more pleasing result if you have plenty of time to spare.

Regards James

Reply to
James

ExpressBCP lets you run off the wire and silkscreens, but anything else needs to go through them.

Eagle, from what I have read, it can do the lot and allow you do everything yourself.

I have not used that part as yet, just the auto-router.

Reply to
Wayne.

KiCad - Multiplatform (Win, MacOS & Linux), capable, free (as in beer) and actively maintained, good support on it's Yahoo group.

Reply to
cth