The Electric Car

Is it not about time that we saw more hi spec electric cars on our roads. I saw the Tesla Roadster and it outperforms a Ferarri on acceleration but what of teh charging time. Can we now re-charge in say 10 mins? The overnight charge is impractable unless the car is to be used for short distances from home.

gyansorova

Tesla Roadster has a range of 250 miles and recharge time of 12 hours. That is more than ample for most commutes.

Of course if you have the money for one, paying for gas ain't the problem.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default

"default"

** The Roadster has a recharge time ( from dead flat ) of 3.5 hours - according to the makers.

Only thing is, owners need to have a dedicated, 3 phase power outlet available at home with a capacity of 15 kW - then it will costs about $10 or so in electricity for a full recharge.

However ..............

- just load the boot (ie trunk in the USA) with a bunch of these babies and get it done in only 1 minute !!!!!

All you need is ** 3 megawatts ** capacity in the garage !!!!!

Circa 4500 amps per phase .

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It can be made reasonably practical. I know someone who modified a small car into a fully electric car, even placed the mains plug for charging under the old petrol cap. Drives it to and from work and can plug it into an outside socket on the wall at work to let it charge for 8 hours. A local shopping center even has a dedicated space for an electric vehicle to allow recharging. Max range is about 50km which is not that great, but enough to get to and from work, shopping, or across the city (Sydney).

And no, you can't recharge in 10 minutes.

I like the new electric scooters and bikes, very cool.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"A prototype of new battery (a laminated lithium ion battery with

600mAh capacity) was discharged and fully recharged 1,000 times at a temperature of 25 degrees centigrade and lost only 1% of capacity during the test."

Damn, that's good. I wonder how many cycles they actually get before it starts to lose some real capacity?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Why waste your energy with 10 minutes charging and grid failure. We can have battery stations like gas stations with efficient chargers. Just need a removable battery pack on cars and use a fork lift. All done in less than 10 minutes....?

Reply to
babug62

Most of us don't have three phase outlets and it is expensive to get. The twelve hours is from a source you'd have at home. Cross country would be a problem - long extension cords and very accommodating motel owners.

One alternative to a different class of electrical service might be super caps or storage batteries that could sip electricity all day long then pass it to the car in one big gulp.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default

default snipped-for-privacy@defaulter.net posted to sci.electronics.design:

This is a case where the flywheel (at hotels / motels) would have the advantage. Fixed location, plenty of time to spool up and spool down, and really serious energy per unit volume and weight, not excessive installation / maintenance costs.

Reply to
JosephKK

The All Electric AL-h2o2 or Hybrid Electric Hummer @100 empg and Zero NOx, is not nearly as naysay as these Usenet spooks, moles and infomercial spewing rusemasters would have you believe. Yid's (aka pretend atheists) are not exactly big on positive/constructive thinking, that is unless it involves the demise and/or extermination of others, as perhaps why they'd thought putting one of their own kind on a stick was a good sort of PR notion at the time.

The not so little h2o2 + fossil/biofuel Hummer alternative, that seriously could save our AGW sorry butts, and then some. It's doable as of more than a decade ago, that is if it wasn't for the bloody gauntlet of naysayism that's intent upon blocking each and every path.

Our failing environment badly needs that do or die kick in our fossil sucking butt, whereas the all electric car has been technically doable, especially with the enviro-safe and otherwise clean h2o2/ aluminum (AL-h2o2) battery or semi-fuel-cell, along with allowing as much global renewable energy put in charge of producing the raw h2o2 and aluminum.

However, as you folks should realize there's no such thing as 100% safe energy, or even of those products made with said energy. I'm certain there will become those unfortunate deaths associated with getting fusion energy up and running, especially if any of that required bulk or volume of He3 is derived from our moon, as well as there being a few more of those wind and solar farm along with other renewable energy related deaths, though all combined a far cry from the ongoing fossil and all-inclusive yellowcake related deaths, and at hardly 1% the environmental impact.

By way of safely creating and utilizing h2o2, I do believe we're on the right set of technological tracks for resolving a good number of enviro-friendly energy and AGW problems, by simply allowing the best available technology of liquid fuels and energy cells to prevail.

Just to start off with, it'll offer lots of compact energy as derived from a fairly small radial turbine or rotary like engine (I'd think partly if not mostly ceramic).

Efficient at a forth the ICE strokes, as there's obviously no atmospheric intake issues, and therefore there's none of those wasted intake, compression or exhaust strokes.

There's an absolute minimum of those sooty and toxic/acidic CO2 exhaust fumes generated and obviously zero worth of NOx, especially nifty whenever having to operate within a tunnel or in most other tight quarters (obviously zero toxic when on battery).

There shouldn't be any sulphur unless intentionally kept within the small amount of consumed fossil fuel or added to whatever biofuel.

It's extremely smooth and quiet operating, especially stealth as a fully hybrid AWD configuration.

It will run nearly as well under water or under mud (though at geratly reduced empg) as it would function even better than 100 empg in a given vacuum, such as upon our moon or Mars (DoD and even NASA should seriously love this kick ass Hummer).

The full minute+ and likely up to six minutes worth of hybrid burst or peak wheel energy of delivering a combined 1000 shp is perfectly doable within existing wheel-motor spec, along with otherwise as much as a sustained 250 shp for those extended hauling applications, and otherwise the combined 125 SHP worth of a continuous AWD rating would actually require a very small radial/rotary ICE.

Nearly any kind of fossil or biofuel alternatives will suit the needs of getting the most clean energy bang per kg of whatever fuel and h2o2.

It is relatively end-user safe and sane because, us dumbfounded village idiot humans will never see or much less touch the h2o2.

h2o2 should also directly provide for the 10 kg 12.5 kwhr worth of hybrid battery energy (optional 20 kg 25 kwhr). Of course for added end-user and aggressive gridlock jamming safety is why those AL-h2o2 batteries will need robust packaging, therefore you can double if not triple the given mass to being worth at least 20 kg for the 12.5 kwhr and 40 kg for the 25 kwhr cell, but even at 30 kg/12.5 kwhr or respectively 60 kg/25 kwhr is still a good deal of safe battery energy storage per kg, as well as per cm3. BTW, the Al-h2o2 battery or energy/fuel cell itself is not per say recharged off the grid, but simply instead given a small supply of aluminum plus sharing some of the raw h2o2 that's going to be consumed along with whatever fossil or biofuel.

The makings of h2o2 can be every bit as green and/or as renewable as you'd care to make them. There can even be an internal h2o-->h2o2 conversion process incorporated within the Hummer (aka: add water and plug it in).

There'd soon be 85% less fossil and/or biofuels consumed for such formats of h2o2 composite hybrids, allowing for much less of fossil fuel having to be extracted from deep within Earth, or as liquid fuel processed out of coal, extracted from oily sand and/or created via spendy biofuel alternatives, and perhaps eventually zero of such imported (including from Canada or Mexico). The all inclusive fossil related environmental impact would soon thereafter drop off to a dull roar, without having to infringe upon those pesky old atmospheric burning and environmentally polluting engines. Meanwhile, spendy Coal gassification fuels would burn very nicely along with h2o2, and most of our more iffy/lethal coal mines could be shut down until fully robotic operations are established, thus much fewer industry related injuries and deaths to deal with and having to pay dearly for.

In addition to what I've just contributed on behalf of using h2o2, there's also a little something positive and thus constructive to being said about the renewable energy surplus going into any number of biofuel or even on behalf of coal gassification productions. For example; the absolute lowest grade of coal or oil shale burns extremely well when given the benefit of h2o2, and this USA has more of such low grade coal and oil shale than the good stuff. Therefore, any and all amounts of h2o2 can be put to good use.

I'll further share as to whatever renewable energy that's in surplus can just as easily become diverted into making the likes of LH2, LOx and h2o2 (you pick), plus accommodating whatever fossil or biofuel productions. You nice folks should also appreciate that we're currently pillaging and raping mother Earth's oceans for a nifty tally of extracting 100 million tonnes/year of seafood (that's not including global sport and subsistence fishing), and since we've been artificially polluting via our human soot saturated CO2, NOx and various other nifty toxins and radioactive waste, as having created a measurable global dimming fiasco, plus indirectly a good number of and ever expanding volumes of those ocean dead zones getting warmer and deeper by the year, whereas such I was wondering how much biofuel could be obtained from extracting and processing a billion tonnes per year worth of those nasty jellyfish that thrive within such ocean dead zones.

There are a few other nifty advantages that I'll have to recall from previous research and subsequent deductive notions, as based upon the regular laws of physics and the best available science (including a few of those our warm and fuzzy NASA has on the books), that by rights should pan out in favor of what h2o2 plus a little fossil or whatever biofuel can provide as our best liquid energy compromise (short of those ET boat loads of methane from Titan, and some viable method of subsequently exporting our sooty NOx and CO2 off-world).

- Brad Guth -

Reply to
BradGuth

The GMC VOLT is on the right set of Earth and human friendly tracks, of becoming a hydrogen peroxide hybrid that'll easily obtain a clean/ (zero NOx) 200 empg from whatever little bit of fossil or whatever biofuel.

The h2o2/Aluminum battery energy density aspect alone is doable as is, and the hybrid dual-fuel injected little engine is certainly every bit as doable, except smaller and a whole lot more powerful for its size than any atmospheric breathing and subsequently NOx polluting engine.

- Brad Guth -

Reply to
BradGuth

And of course we have the all-knowing naysayer Eeyore to always thank for all the progress that's going in reverse, as well as for the reason we're at war with Muslims that just so happen to all of that oil which apparently belonged to us.

It's a good thing we took out Saddam as based upon those phony WMD, before Eeyore and his kind more than tripled that per barrel value.

- Brad Guth -

Reply to
BradGuth

More like quadrupled.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Sorry about that, as for topic affect I usually try my best to exaggerate upon such matters, in order to make a greater point that it's not looking good.

BTW, I believe the current cost per barrel of getting such bloody Iraq oil into a given supertanker is currently at less than $1/barrel. Go figure as to why we're having to pay so freaking much on the global oil market.

- Brad Guth -

Reply to
BradGuth

"Follow the money." -- Deep Throat

Who is making the most profits off this?

Reply to
Richard Henry

Also follow the power. Who is gaining power.

Reply to
MooseFET

For that quest we'll need full access to reviewing throughout those offshore banking and tracking those stealth international investments, just like in them good old days of going after all of that Third Reich pillaged loot, of which only took a few spendy decades in order to track down and recover perhaps 10% of it, and sometimes getting rather testy because some of that loot was being held by other Jews or by those which damn well knew about other Yids having turned out more than a few bloody bucks worth of profit at the demise of their own kind. In other words, over the past 12,500 years and counting, or perhaps as far back as you'd care to go, what's new about the swarm like cultism and their nasty mindset to boot, whereas all the really good Christ like ones are either put on a stick or much like them Cathars/Kathars exterminated or summarily run out of town.

As MooseFET says; "Also follow the power. Who is gaining power." Well folks, from what's obvious to see, it sure as hell isn't the general population of Muslims or even those of their leaders that don't seem to have terribly long enough to live in order to enjoy whatever loot they manage to steal from their own kind. My goodness, arnt these social/political interactive mainstream religions and of their puppet governments wonderful, as in so warm and fuzzy to behold. Of course those good faith-based few and far between wouldn't dare to intervene on behalf of putting any moderation or much less a stop to such tit-for-tats, as the more of them other guys that fight with one another means a larger piece of that juicy all-American pie and/or global domination candy there is for themselves.

- Brad Guth -

Reply to
BradGuth

Don't forget the drooling idiots! They deserve irrational prejudice just as much as the raving lunatics.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

And your warm and fuzzy swarm borg like collective fart of such all- knowing profound naysayism via your anti-think-tank worth of applied technology-fuckology is based upon what sort of conditional laws of physics?

What other if any liquid fueled and assuming atmospheric N2 breathing ICE (excluding your intellectual flatulence powered alternative) is capable of getting the most empg at zero NOx and otherwise minimal CO2?

What other method of consuming fossil or whatever biofuel is ever going to give such a fully loaded hybrid Hummer of any atmospheric consumption of mostly polluted N2 that kind of 100 empg, without such spewing NOx, CO2 and/or having to drag along that multi-mile extension cord?

- Brad Guth -

Reply to
BradGuth

Geeze! Stop repeating yourself, before they show up with butterfly nets and one of those white jackets with the extra long sleeves.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In other words, you folks actually get the drift of my butterfly net worthy rant?

And thereby your positive/constructive worth of on-topic contributions are ?????

A zero NOx and minimal CO2 internal combustion engine is doable as of more than a decade ago, as well the required resources of obtaining clean and renewable energy in surplus for the makings of h2o2 and for otherwise processing whatever coal and/or plants/food into the likes of spendy biofuels has also been a done deal, except that apparently it's not being kept nearly spendy enough for those trying every dirty old trick in their hocus-pocus status quo black book for keeping us dumbfounded into consuming fossil fuels, plus rather badly burning our mostly N2 atmosphere in such vast volumes that turns into more of our soot that's laced with NOx, CO2 and a host of other nastier elements (including radium and ultimately radon).

- Brad Guth -

Reply to
BradGuth